Okay, UNIVERSAL, it's time to release YOUR HAMMER FILMS...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Universal is the only major studio that has not yet released its Hammer Films on DVD, and they own some of the best! You can't really count the old KISS OF THE VAMPIRE disc, as it was licensed to Image. Here's what we're missing:

CURSE OF THW WEREWOLF
    NIGHTMARE
    PARANOIAC
    EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN
    BRIDES OF DRACULA
    PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1962)
    KISS OF THE VAMPIRE.

Many I've missed one or two...

What a great LEGACY set these would make, eh?

2. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

Its funny they have not marketed those films yet, I mean they are the Horror Studio. Actually, I wish they would focus a little more attention to a lot of their titles, maybe soon.

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I can only agree that this is a huge oversight on Universal's part. I wish they'd get their act together and release these Hammers on DVD (or, better, license them out to people who care - AB/BU). [​IMG]

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Here, here! [​IMG]

Mind you, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it... in open-matte or pan and scan for $9.99! [​IMG]

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

You can add "Night Creatures" to that list which has never had a home video release.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I was just reviewing the Hammer documentary Flesh and Blood (out 10/5 from Image) and seeing the clips from Evil of Frankenstein and Brides of Dracula (the latter of which looked like a great print is out there, by the way) really made me anxious to see these on disc. Come on, Universal!

7. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Well, Sony has over 30 Hammer titles unreleased in their vaults. From memory, only "Die, Die My Darling" is available on DVD.
    Examples:
    1) "The Gorgon"
    2) "Terror of the Tongs"
    3) "Taste of Fear" (aka: Scream of Fear) (available in Japan in a box-set)
    4) Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll"
    5) "Stranglers of Bombay"
    6) "These Are the Damned"
    7) "Never Take Sweets From A Stranger"
    8) "Camp on Blood Island"
    9) "Curse of the Mummy's Tomb"
    10) "Yesterday's Enemy"

....and many more. Get busy Sony!

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I agree with you 100% on the Hammer films Dick. Putting these on DVD is a no-brainer, there's a big following for these films, Universal should open its eyes.

Universal is also neglectful of their 1950's sci-fi films such as The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters, Tarantula, The Mole People and The Deadly Mantis.

And where are such great 30's & 40's horrors as The Black Cat, The Raven, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Island of Lost Souls, The Uninvited, Dr Cyclops, & The Invisible Ray?

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick

Well, they have a lot, yes. They did at least release REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN, but not a murmur since, and that was two or three years ago! This is typical of Sony/Columbia, though - they squeek out only two or three catalog titles each month and never have "sets," such as a whole bunch of Three Stooges or Hammer at any one time. This may serve them well as a mode of DVD release, but it is highly frustrating for us. They'll have many hundreds of desirable titles not even released on standard DVD by the time HD heats up. But the problem is, those titles will be back-burner titles on HD, too, and we'll have to wait another ten years as they wade through the same movies they already put out on standard discs. AND they now have the MGM library to contend with. My guess is, there will be many more unreleased titles from Columbia on our want lists in a few years than from any other (single) studio (single= not counting Warner, with its RKO and old MGM libraries).

10. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'll chime in as one desperately wanting the Universal Hammer films on DVD.

BTW - Another one to add to the list is Twins of Evil.

I'll also agree that even Universal's non-Hammer horror films seem to be getting the shaft (apart from the Monster Legacy films, many of which are on their second DVD release already).

11. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

HOW DO WE EMAIL UNIVERSAL ??
    AND EXPRESS OUR WISHES ??

12. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    Seems to me that if they packaged the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA as well as the 1962 version and THE CLIMAX, they could package a nice little suppliment there ("Phantom Legacy" perhaps?)

But when oh WHEN will we see BLACK CAT? RAVEN? MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE?

13. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Twins of Evil is available on DVD in the UK, along with Vampire Circus and Countess Dracula in a cheap box set.

14. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I doubt Universal currently controls TWINS OF EVIL in R1, but you can add the quasi-Hammer film, SHADOW OF THE CAT (1961) to the "please release these properly on R1 DVD, Universal" list...

15. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

UNIVERSAL, how about instead of a LEGACY set A HAMMER SET
    with all of these films with their poster art.

16. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I'd rather these not be released as a Legacy set in one box. I'd rather be able to shelve all of Hammer Draculas and Hammer Frankensteins together.