What's new

okay, this is apocalyptic stuff (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Do you want to put her name in the subject title, perhaps? This looked like something about the state of the recording industry.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
lol, isn't Ginger Spice recording classical music about the scariest thing imaginable about the music industry?

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I just hope he cleaned off the cd when he was done with it.

Wow. Oversell, much?

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
That entire group was harmless and cute. My children all loved them for a few weeks and I had to listen and watch their movie and thought it was all funny. If any of them were anything more than cute, with any talent, it wasn't clear and I knew they would soon be out of business since I have seen it all many times before. I did not tell my children that, just let it run its brief course. If Geri has any real talent, she should have known not to bother with being a Spice Girl since it will be very hard to overcome it. If she is good, then I will listen, but I am very skeptical to say the least.

Chris

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I hardly think any of the girls had any idea what was about to happen when they signed on, you can't predict this stuff. If you could, there would be a lot more phenoms like the Spice Girls. As far as not bothering, I'm sure that no one would would ever pay any attetion to any of these girls without their history, even if they were the second coming in the talent department. Having that level of fame at least gets people to take a look. If they suck, well...

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

We just completely disagree. I am not saying Geri can't be a success if she is talented and a serious musician, just that it is much harder after having been part of what obviously was going to considered a no-talent teenager act not based on the music. Perception is so important in a business like this. Fame in one area can often make it difficult to succeed in another area. This seems to be obvious to many performers who try early not to be typecast if they hope to be successful doing something different. No, they didn't know they would be such a hit, but the group was set up based on a proven formula to succeed with their intended market. A serious musician knows that music wasn't going to be serious.

Chris

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
^ actually, four of the five Spice Girls (Melanie B failed) had a lot of success in the UK post-Spice. Geri's career in the US has been dead on arrival, but she had four or five #1 hits in the UK and her first album was a global blockbuster, except for the states. Don't cry for them because they've all done well in their own right in the UK since the breakup. Posh Spice is in one of the most infamous supercouples in the UK also thanks to her marriage to David Beckham as well.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I am really just speaking of my observation of the US market. I don't know how things work in the UK. I have nothing against the young ladies, they are really cute and sweet acting from all I have seen, and did nothing I observed that I didn't want my children to see or hear so I approved. I do understand they made a lot of money, I am not crying for them at all, just stating that I personally would not have been part of that act if my life's dream was to be a serious musician. If fame and fortune was the goal, I would have put on a short skirt and kicked up my heels just like they did.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks