Okay - the first project is sitting next to my sofa...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chuck Bogie, May 27, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

On my way to the Supershoot in Sunny Northern Ohio, I made a detour via Springboro. Gotta say that I thought the BR-1 speakers were nice, but I thought they sounded a little gritty. Amazing bass from such a small package tho (and I checked that the sub was turned off - those Titanics will rock your world...) - maybe the guys behind the counter were running 'em through an equalizer - I didn't check.

Anywho, picked up a copy of the Weems book, and on an impulse, since I decided not to get the BR-1s just yet, I grabbed a case of the 4" Pioneer buyout speakers (hey, 90 cents each for 32 of 'em, with no shipping...).

So, here's what I'm thinking...

16 of 'em in each tower on approx. 4" centers (haven't completely figured out the power tapering bit yet, but I'd like to keep the overall impedence at around 6 ohms or greater). Looks like if I run internal dimensions of 12 wide x 18 deep x 86 high, I'll end up with 10.75 cubic feet. If I've plugged the data into WinISD correctly, that gives me a little hump around 200hz, but it doesn't look all that bad. Venting looks to be 8 x 5.51" dia x 4.43" length vents. These will be in the rear, and will be PVC. WinISD seems to want the thing to be a vented box - or maybe I screwed up entering the data...

I've been thinking on it, and I'm going to get a pair of plate amps, which will each run a pair of the Dayton 10s parallel for the low end. Haven't decided on tweeters yet, but I'll probably run the thing "full range" for a little while before modifying the baffle for tweets and adding a crossover.

What do you think?

2. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Yup, I screwed up entering the data... Looks like WinISD likes a 4.58 sealed box or a .655 ported box (tuned to 54.71) with a single 2.68" x 5.76 long tube.

Now, what would happen if I change the sealed volume to 1.76 cubic feet (5 across x 7 deep x 87 high)? Frc changes from 120 to 140, and Qtc from .858 to .980... How, in real-world non-engineer terms, will this affect the resulting sound? The two curves don't look that much different... The smaller box appears to peak a little higher, and fall off a little earlier, but not that much earlier that it'll mess with a sub. Overall, the sealed curves look better lower than the vented arrangement.

I'm picking up a sheet of 3/4" MDF in the next week or two, then it'll be time to haul my table saw outta a bud's basement where it's been living, and we'll make some sawdust.

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

wow, the thought of snaging a ton of cheap small drivers has crossed my mind, but i still like the idea of a nice set of sound reinforcement loudspeakers can some one say 15" drivers all the way around [​IMG]