Okay, new to 16:9 and have a couple of questions. :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryHatchett, Jul 19, 2001.

1. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Just got my 65H80 in the house, and am feeding it from a new JVC progressive scan DVD player. The 65H80 is of course 16:9, and I have the JVC player set to 16:9 (auto, I think) format.
    Thus far, however, every widescreen DVD I've played has still had black bars top and bottom, even though they're far smaller than what I'm used to seeing on letterboxed images through my old 4:3 set.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong here, or are only certain DVDs (anamorphic?) capable of filling the screen vertically on a 16:9 set? If the latter, what are some of the DVDs that do fill the screen?
    Thanks. Not at all new to audio/video, but brand new to 16:9 issues.
    Jerry

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Are you in "FULL" pic size?? That is what to use for Anamorphic DVDs. 2.35:1 transfers will still have black bars but smaller than you are used to with your 4:3 set

3. JerryHatchett

Yes Brian, I'm in 'Full' mode. The bars are much thinner but still there. I was just wondering if that was normal.
    Can't wait til the sun goes down so I can start tweaking the picture. (The set is in a sunroom and daytime is not the time to make adjustments in there.)
    Jerry

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

It's normal. A 2.35/1 ratio film will still have letterboxing bars. A film in 1.85/1 or less will fill the entire screen.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

5. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

There are two ways to get rid of the black bars at the top.
    1. Your dvd will have a zoom mode and that will fill the screen,however the more you zoom, the picture quality degrades.
    2. On the settings on the Topshiba go across the top where you see the movie camera. Open that icon and you will be given three choices,usually the #2 mode will fill the screen or make it significantly larger. The newer DVDs are coming with enhanced wide screen for home theatre. Depending on which aspecr ratio it is filmed in orginally some of the newer discs fill the screen with little or no adjustment. I hope this assists you.

6. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

On another note.. being a new 65H80 owner myself... what do you think of the MIRROR that they call a "protective" screen? Mine will HAVE to come off eventually. I hate to void a warranty so quickly though. When i do it though, ill be doing a bunch of other stuff in there.. Duvetyne, Lens hood, SVM disable

7. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    Jerry,
    I think what Bruce Hedtke was getting at is the fact that 16x9 is not the only widescreen aspect ratio, but rather the standard screen size for HDTV.
    Many motion pictures were filmed in ratios wider than 16x9 (Star Trek - The Motion Picture, How the West Was Won, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World etc.).
    While any movie filmed in, or (gasp) matted to the 16x9 aspect ratio, other "wider" movies will appear with black bars at the top & bottom of 16x9 widescreen televisions (albeit black bars of varying thickness).
    In short, yes, this is normal. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    SpenceJT
    www.spenceplace.com
    "...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
    - Thank you Mr. Lemmon

8. JerryHatchett

>
    Thanks, Spence. [​IMG]
    ------------------