Okay, new SVS 20-39PCi will arrive tomorrow

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kip Lackey, May 22, 2003.

1. Kip Lackey

Kip Lackey Stunt Coordinator

Any last minute advice for someone moving from a Boston PV400 to 20-39PCi? SPL meter is ready to go and I'm hoping the wife decides to go shopping for a good part of the weekend:>)

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Here's some advice. If you're not completely blown away by it the instant you turn it on, give it some time and really listen to it.

Coming up from a low-end sub like that may have conditioned you into listening for more inflated mid-bass. Since the SVS produces a relatively flat frequency response, you will not hear the type of bass you are used to hearing. Hence, you may think that the SVS is not very loud. I assure you, it is. Play one of the DVDs listed at SVS's website and you'll hear and feel bass that little sub of yours could never dream of reproducing.

3. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Put on LOR's Prelude or We Were Soldiers's Broken Arrow Scene or xXx Avalanche scene.

then...

Stow all loose objects and fasten your seatbelts!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gordon

4. Kip Lackey

Hopefully, everything will come together on this. I should have a new shipment of DVD's from Columbia House arrive today as well. I've been reading here and other forums for about a year to get a good feel for the sub. I'm going to keep the PV 400 and use it is well if I find I am used to the "boomy" bass. I was watching Episode 2 last night and my wife was getting pissed because of the boom from the PV 400. If she only knew what the little brown truck was going to drop off today:>) Okay, actually I've told her but she just seems to ignore me or give the "yeah, right" response. Oh well, my theater is in the basement and she rarely goes in there except when we watch a movie. She may not even notice the sub. I guess that is wishful thinking, eh?

I've got the DVD changer loaded up with ATOTC, Episode 1, LOTR, U-571 and The Matrix. Should be fun!

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Kip,

Do you have Avia, Video Essentials, or Sound and Vision's test DVD??

You have the meter, which is THE key ingredient to quick and effective setup, but I've lost count of the number of receivers with test tones that were off from what they should have been.

Snag a disk from a friend or where you can find one and read over the manual (for the SPL meter too) and maybe even our FAQ's page on your coffee break today.

SVS's are as close to "plug and play" as we can make them, but calibration (from which you can then depart as your tastes and playback levels dictate) bring the most out of your system.

PS, dont' forget to set all your speakers to "small" for the first round of calibration and listening tests, and make sure ALL sound processing modes are off. THX Movie Mode, midnight mode, peak limiters, anything that might skew your output.

Ron

6. Kip Lackey

Hi Ron,
    I've got Avia and the speakers are set to small. I don't use any additional processing or DSP's on my Yammy, just DD or DTS so I should be ready to go. I can't wait. I'm bailing out of work at 2:30 for a haircut and conveniently, the UPS guy will be bringing my sub today. Oh, I almost forgot, my wife usually ends up working late on Friday as well[​IMG]

Thanks for the service and advice!

Thanks,
    Kip

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It's Friday and your wife is working late along with a new SVS to your door this afternoon. Life sure can be a bowl of cherries. I would definitely say "your good to go!"[​IMG] Lets all go on over to Kips house??

8. Kip Lackey

Well, it worked out pretty well.. Wife is now home so all testing must stop[​IMG]

I only got to listen to AOTC and a bit of LOTR between emptying dishwasher, changing sheets, and getting my hair cut.

Okay, Episode 2 almost blew me out of the room before I turned the gain down! I've not had time to calibrate but will this weekend. The initial chapter in Episode two with the ship fly-over and explosion were unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After turning the gain down and re-watching the scenes, I realized this thing is deeeeep. I then hooked my old sub back up and watched the same scenes. All I can say is "night and day".

Thanks for all the advice! Looking good so far; can't wait to get it calibrated.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

You lucky dog!!

10. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I absolutly will never buy another sub again( ok well maybe I'll upgrade to a bigger SVS). But I will always buy SVS. I have a 20-39pc+ and I rattles my walls. It took me awhile to get use to its accuracy. I guess my Velodyne VA1012 was more "boomy" than I thought. Enjoy that sub Kip. It only gets better. Mike D