1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Okay Network guys explain DSL speed to me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Moore, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

When you go on these speedtest sites you see things like your relative speed expressed in Throughout usually around 970-990 kbps for my basic DSL service. However some sites break the number down expressed in a download speed of 136 kbps. This is consistent with what I get for a average download rate in explorer when downloading from bigger sites like Microsoft, Oracle, etc...

What is the difference in these 2 numbers. Is Throughput your max speed, burst rate or something and the other value your true download speed?

I hope I'm explaining this properly.

2. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

You are looking at two different units of measure. One is kilobits the other is kilobytes. There are 8 bits in a byte, so just divide the kilobit number by 8.

This is a pretty common point of confusion as the units are usually not well inidicated. I think the standard is KB for kilobyte and Kb or kbit for kilobit.

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation