What's new

Okay, Mr. Spielberg, we think you're wonderful, BUT... (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think it's more of an attitude of 'If you want to watch the film, watch the film. If you want to go behind-the-scenes, don't do it while watching the film.'

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
While it's received some serious praise in this thread, I for one think it's a very bad film, even borderline terrible. It's well crafted, but it commits the cardinal sin of any comedy: it's not funny.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Well, I believe that Steven Spielberg would be in agreement with you. I've heard him say pretty much what you did (more or less) on the TCM interview with him.

But, I think 1941 was really funny. I think it's the type of comedy that presses only a few people's funny buttons.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Interesting. I don't think I've heard an explanation for it. It's kind of like Lynch not wanting scene indexes on his DVDs to force us to watch Eraserhead in one sitting. :D To both directors, whose work I admire highly, let me be the judge of how I watch yer stuff!! Lynch, gimme scene stops, Spielberg?!!! Talk during your movie my friend! Talk talk talk!!!! :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
check you big lots. I paid $3 for the 2-DVD version. Yep, it isn't very good but still fun to watch. Hell...Steve should commentary that one!! Ain't no "magic" there to ruin!! Hahahaa!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Just a thought - if and when Jaws comes out, I really hope they rescan the photos and artwork from the still galleries. The galleries on the DVD versions (the 1- and 2-disc) are taken straight from the laserdisc and it shows (very low-rez).

With his Universal films, I doubt we'll get any sort of U-Control features, which would suit me fine. Spielberg doesn't do commentaries so it's safe to assume he won't allow any other features that might interupt the flow of the movie (PiP interviews, etc.)

Re: 1941, I just hope we get the extended version or even (fingers crossed) both versions. It's simply a matter of additional footage so seamless branching shouldn't be a big deal

And I can't stress this enough... TRAILERS! The laserdiscs and DVD releases all had their trailers intact (I think the 2-disc Jaws dropped them).

Re: the Indiana Jones Trilogy, I hope they keep the bonus disc contents (trailers, the full-length documentary, and the featurettes on the stunts, music, sound design, and FX) in addition to the bonus materials on the individual releases and anything new they come up with (how about some educational materals like the Young Indy sets but about the Ark, the Holy Grail, etc.?)

StevenW

Second Unit
Does Spielberg own the movies with Universal? With the recent news about Dreamworks and Universal's fallout I wonder if Universal would release these now without his say so.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Speilberg has control via his Amblin Entertainment of his films at Universal from E.T. on. Universal has control of the earlier films. However, it is doubtful they would release, say, Jaws without Speilberg's involvement/ok because then they'd have a harder time releasing E.T., Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, etc.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
True, and egos notwithstanding, I'd assume they'd want his participation on any new special features on any of these titles.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to hear his commentaries for Jaws, Raiders, Saving Private Ryan, etc., but I doubt he'll ever do them. :frowning:

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Release the big movies that everyone is waiting for now and they will be bought. At the same time people on the edge or wanting to get into BR will see these titles already on the shelf and it may give them that little push.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Personally I think 1941 is one of the funnest movies I've ever seen, in the Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World vein.

Doug

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan

I'm fine with out commentary's. Honestly I never listen to them. I have a problem with watching a movie with out the correct sound. I love to hear what Speilburg has to say, but I prefer it either in a interveiw or in some kind of extra.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
right it also has a the russians are coming feel to me.
Mr Film with a name like that you should know how to spell Mr. S's name properly.

:P

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
With me it's almost a social thing since (and this may confirm my insanity) I'll talk back to them as the commentary is going on...stuff like "yeah, I figured that shot was inspired by that scene in Casablanca..." or "Hahahaha! I'll bet you wished you'd hired a better prop guy!!" Some of the best are Gilliam films since his words during the film explain a lot about why he does the things he does, the ones for every episode of Red Dwarf since they are like watching the show in a pub in the UK with the cast...truly awesome, and I also like Used Cars produced by Spielberg with the director, Kurt Russell, etc. I was wishing they'd gotten more of the cast on that one, and Stevie of course! But they have a ball watching it and so do I. For me, an interview is nice but not quite the same as such experiences as these. It really is almost like you're sitting there watching the movie with the people who made it.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I find it interesting that Spielberg doesn't do commentaries, because I read where he had actually sat with David Lean and watched Lawrence of Arabia. Apparently Lean talked about it all through the movie. Spielberg said he loved it because it was like having his own personal commentary.

Having enjoyed that, I would think he would understand the desire for people to hear his thoughts and off the cuff comments on his own films.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks