What's new

Okay....it's time! Now what do you think...? (1 Viewer)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
The new house is finished, and I am going to buy a RPTV.
(Later I may add a screen and get a FPTV.....!)
But for now, I need some help. I am looking towards getting a 65" Mits. (16x9)
I can deal with the red push issue easily enough. But I have heard that the internal line doubler is trash.
I know that these Mits. sets can be tweaked quite a bit, but frankly, I do not want to spend a bunch of time now, and in the future, trying to get a great picture.
I will probably just have it ISF calibrated.
Here is the question:
What is the best RPTV for me to get for picture quality?
I will be using it about 50% of the time for regular DSS viewing. I want to get the widescreen for HDTV signals, and I want it to be able to display all formats of HDTV.
Should I be looking at a different set?
Which 65" RPTV should I buy? And please tell me pros and cons.....I am confused! Thanks!!!
------------------
The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Your best bet is a Toshiba over a Mitsubishi, if you're looking for good out-of-the-box performance. Mitsubishi's have many problems, including:
1. very excessive red push. This can be remedied with the red-push attenuator, but keep in mind this device only works on the component inputs - all other inputs will still suffer greatly from this problem.
2. poor line doubler. Often regarded as one of the worst.
3. inaccurate colour temperature. Of course, any Mits can have its gray scale properly calibrated, but out-of-the-box, they tend to have the greatest errors.
On the other hand, Toshiba sets:
1. have little to no red push. Red push tends to be in the 5% range as opposed to the 20-25% for Mits.
2. very high-quality line doubler which includes 3:2 pulldown detection and compensation.
3. relatively accurate colour temperature. With the control set to Warm, Toshiba sets usually tend to stick relatively close to a proper colour temperature of 6500K.
Of course, Toshiba's can be calibrated and tweaked just like any other TV. A well-adjusted Toshiba is a thing of beauty and can rival even the most expensive sets. Last year's models gave the Pioneer Elites a run for their money, according to The Perfect Vision and this year's models show some great improvements.
The current line-up from Toshiba is truly stellar, IMHO. I have seen some images and they look absolutely fantastic.
If you want good out-of-the-box performance, stick with Toshiba. The set will give you great images with little to no hassle. Then, when you're ready for proper calibration, you can reap the full benefits of the TV.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Jeff. I had considered Toshiba.....but some other people told me that the Mits. was better. I have had great luck with Toshiba products!!
Anybody else have a better idea?
Are the Hitachi sets any good? What flaws do they have?
------------------
The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks