What's new

Okay, it's probably too early to be thinking of the Oscars, but I've something to ask (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Okay, here's the hypothetical situation:

The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences is looking for somebody to produce the next Oscar ceremony..come up with a theme (if desired), pick presenters, choose host(s), decide on between-awards entertainment, and so forth. A decision is made...YOU have been chosen to produce the Oscars. All the decisions rest in your hands now...what will you do?

Me, here's what I do:

The writing team would be headed up by Tina Fey and Kevin Smith, and members of the team would include Sherri Stoner, Deanna Oliver, Paul Rugg (those first 3 having been chosen by me for their movie jokes that they contributed to the Warner Brothers TV animation of the 90s), John Cleese, Eric Idle, the team of Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker, Savage Steve Holland and a special mystery writer who will do his own material and help co-host the ceremony.

The hosts: I would return to the multiple host format. For the first quarter of the awards, Cleese and Idle are the hosts. The second quarter is hosted by Fey and Dennis Miller. The third quarter is hosted by John and Joan Cusack. The fourth quarter...I bring in the big guns and out comes JOHNNY CARSON, to make a return appearance and bring some class to the final part.

Presenters would be matched up in a unique way: Ask anybody who knows me, and they'll tell you I'm an 80s fanatic. My idea is to pair up stars of the modern-day with people who gained their greatest movie fame in the 80s. Example: Best Achievement in Make-Up is presented by Eddie Murphy, star across two decades, and Kelly LeBrock, star of the 80s. You can get the picture from there.

In-between awards entertainment: I would hire a quartet of singers to perform a medley entitled "Oscar's Only Human, Chapter 2: We Have More Proof"...a medley of eligible movie songs from the past quarter-century that failed to get Oscar nominations. The performers: Pink, Pat Benatar, Luther Vandross and Jackson Browne.

Also, I would have a fashion show highlighting over-the-top clothing from 40 years of movies, set to the song "So Hip It Hurts" by ABC.

That, my friends, is only part of the Oscar ceremony you would see if I was the producer. Let me know of other things I could fill in, and remember the question...

They've picked you to produce the Oscars...What will YOU do?

Sincerely,

John "Is obsessed year-round with the Oscars" Kilduff

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Actually, word in the trade magazines a few weeks ago was that they made an offer to Johny, and had also considered a few others outside the norm..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks