Okay, I'm an idiot... Why is Bose so bad...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Okay, I have always heard great things about Bose and, in fact, I own a pair of Bose (Only because they were less than 200 dollars... for the pair!). But upon searching through these fine threads, all I hear is how bad they are. I did read that someone/all has/have said that they have a liar's market campaign and would definately agree with that. But my question is... Why do you lads and lasses not like Bose?

And please, I am the first one to admit my ignorance so no bashing me. I am curious because eventually (that whole money thing) I want to get good speakers. Oh and just to add I would never buy a speaker system package and definately not shell out the kind of money Bose is asking for.

So, I reiterate: Why do you lads and lasses not like Bose?

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Here's something from the HTF archives, this is probably a good place to start:
    http://www.fiendation.com/300zx/bosefaq.htm
    This goes into a fair amount of detail, and IMO is a pretty good discussion of the issues involved.
    Edit: I didn't answer your question, did I? [​IMG] Why do I not like Bose... because I've heard their speakers a little, and I think there are better speakers out there for the same amount of money, that's all. I think they do cater to a specific market, where the buyer isn't too critical a listener and values aesthetics/convenience over performance. For such a buyer, Bose's product/design philosophy is fine. It's still overpriced IMO, but that's a different issue. However, I am not such a buyer, so I'm not interested, that's all there is to it.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    well, IMO (keep in mind I'm still kind of a newbie) Bose is a corporate money-making company that cares nothing of sound quality and all about the money. I've never owned a set of Bose speakers but just seeing what I've seen they look ridiculously over priced, why do that when I can get a good sounding set of Paradigms for less? just my opnion on Bose[​IMG]

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Saurav pretty well summed it up. They are WAY to expensive in exchange for the sound value they deliver in return.
    And I guess that it also rubs me the wrong way when they talk about all of the technology they have in their designs. Unbelievable! [​IMG]

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Well, I did read the FAQ and it was very interesting. Thank you very much.
    Some day, Some how, I will get the system that I really want.
    and yes, minus the BOSE! [​IMG]

6. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Well, when I was just a youngin, I worked for the mighty corporation(a terribly corrupt manager accused me of thieving and forced me out).

IMO, their speakers aren't as bad as some make them out to be. I'm talking about their SPEAKERS, not their systems. THe speakers are ok as far as sound goes(always liked the 301s).

Their systems bite ass. Not only do they die all the time, but cubes suck.

That's my opinion.

Sam

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Have you ever wondered why there are no published specifications

on ANY Bose product? No posted S/N no Sensitivity no Power

Ratings.. NOTHING... That's Bose for ya..

8. Barry Robbins

Barry Robbins Auditioning

[​IMG] I think Bose sound great for sub $100 speakers.... but that's the rub, nothing from Bose cost that little. As others have stated, price vs performance...
    Bear

9. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

It's amazing that Bose sound as good as they do...
    considering they're made from paper cone, stamped steel, cloth surrounds, 1/2" wafer board, vinyl finish, two inch cone (paper) tweeters, should I go on? Wait, the "sub"woofers have two ~6" woofers, woohoo!
    'Nuff said,
    Vince

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The Bose sound isn't the worst in the world. The one problem I have is the fact that they expect to blend a tiny 2 1/2" cone with something which is supposed to produce bass. For one thing, the 2 1/2" cone doesn't really do the treble the best, and there has to be a huge hole in the frequency response between the tiny cubes and the "subwoofer" which doesn't go to sub bass level really in terms of true low end response.

That said, it doesn't sound horrible, just not good in my opinion. Its something for people who need speakers that look really really small?

11. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    Bose arent horrible, there are just better options for the money.

On more than one occasion I have recommended the Bose cube system to people looking for small decorator friendly speakers that they can pick up locally.

Sure there are alternatives on the web or in some hi-fi salons on special order, but if someone wants the smallest spouse friendly speakers they can get and wants to buy them at a local vendor, and they want to do it now...Bose is the right answer.

They beat listening through the TV speakers, which is usually the other option offered the poor soul.

Mike

12. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

go here . This explains a lot.