What's new

Okay.. I SUCK at online FPS! (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I normally don't play online games, because my old computer was so slow, i COULDN'T..

well a few months ago i got a brand new computer, and i can finally check out the new games. Im pretty good at offline single-player games. But when i bought Counterstrike, and i went online... Holy crap i suck! I just played America's Army.. its a great game, i got one or two kills, but i die even more. It also sucks to wait until the match is over to get back in again. But i love the whole slow-strategical teamwork pace to it, instead of a quick-twitch Q3/UT kind of FPS

Can anybody gimme some pointers so i dont die every 2 minutes?

Should i follow around the leader? Or just practice practice practice?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend playing a game against bots, if you can, and practice against them. Learn how to walk sideways (or even in circles) and shoot.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah, i know how to do that, strafing while shooting.. learned that awhile ago playing Q2 and Duke Nukem :)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
CS is a lot of jumping, weapon selection, knowing maps & hiding spots etc. I sucked at first, but got to the point that I can go to most maps and do at least 50/50, even with all the cheaters (who are simply everywhere, unfortunately.)

Also, having a quick switch from your main weapon to your pistol helps alot - that's great as its faster than reloading. GOod teammates are probably the best thing though.

Nathan A

Second Unit
what's your connection? 56k? cable/dsl?

if your 56Ker then you'll have a hard time playing against people online- most of them have high speed connections (and it really does make a world of difference).

if you are on broadband, then a lot of practice should do you well. it can take literally months of playing a game to get good enough to really compete with other people online.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
CS is very hard and frustrating when you first play it. Just keep at it. Get on maps that will let you follow the other team when you die so you can see what they do. When you are alive don't go out on your own, pick someone and follow them, do what they do. I stopped playing CS quite awhile ago. SOOOO many cheaters. I tried playing it again the other night and as soon as I get in a map there are people shooting through walls and everything...they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

I have been playing alot of the Day of Defeat mod for halflife though. Check it out Nick its a blast. It is ALOT harder than CS though when you first start out, but eventually you learn the map and learn its not about killing people, you really have to play as a team a lot more than CS.

A friend and I and some other guys (there were only about 5 of us) started a stupid little clan. Actually all we did was change our names. The server we used to play on (before I got banned for bitching out an admin for interferring in the gameplay, but thats another story for another time) was a really good server. The competition was very high. Well our small clan that at the most had 3 of us actively playing was ranked 3rd on the server overall (at one point we moved up to 2nd place)! We couldn't believe it.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks for the tip guys... I just had a mini-game with two of my friends just to get used to shooting (map was de_dust), i still got a ways to go, but i did get in some nice shots... ONe thing is that its a way faster paced-game compared to Army Ops. I like Army Ops has much more of a team feel, but its hella hard, and matches last a LONG time.

Hmm, i should check out DoD. I usually play wtih friends, so cheaters aren't a big problem.

Ohyeah, i have DSL, rated at 1.5Mbit down.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Nick;

I know how you feel. A couple years ago I assembled a new computer that was able to play some good games. I got into Quake III and started playing that quite a bit.

One day a friend of mine, who had played FPS games like Quake on the PC for years, took me up on the challenge of going head-to-head in a death match. Let's just say that I didn't stand much of a chance against him. In fact, let's just forget about this altogether and never speak of it again.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
As far as Day of Defeat goes, there aren't nearly as many servers out there, but there also aren't as many cheaters. People are generally team players, but its getting more and more people just out to raise their scores and rankings.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Tried Counterstrike once and totally sucked at it here. Lately I log into a game of Urban Terror (A Quake 3 total conversion). The maps are nice and its a good way to let off some steam.

I will say that the game I still play from time to is Unreal Tournament. I can't get enough of the zero grav maps. After playing so much in them I developed this uncanny accuracy with Rockets in zero gravity. I still have a blast playing UT.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
DOD is my favorite mod. Some maps require a lot of running around, but when people actually try and play as a team, it's great.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
CS used to take up most of my time..now its AA. The flood of cheaters in CS makes the game really boring at times but u might get lucky with a server that has a "just" admin.
I've always played FPS, started with Wolfenstein 3D, then Duke Nukem (1st time online at 33.6) then HL, etc. I guess u might say I've had a lot of practice.
Some tips for CS or AA for that matter. U gotta have good speakers or headphones. Listen where the shots r fired, what type of gun, footsteps. If its an AK, then it might be a T, an M4A1 would be a CT as would a Steyr. AA makes it more easy as there's only a few guns to recognise.
Pay attention to teamates, where they r. U'll find out if the bridge has been compromised if that guy dies there, etc. Practice peeking around corners.
One thing that keeps me scoring in AA is I listen to enemies' switching their gun and pulling a grenade. When I hear that, I charge as they switch to shoot me. U gotta go past them fast though as that "hot" 'nade might have been dropped.
All in all, practice makes perfect. Chose ur mouse and KB controls and stick with them. And remember,..."Aim small, miss small."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You use 4 directional buttons (I usually use A, S, D, W as left, down, right, up, respectively) for the movement of the character and the mouse for the view. So press A and the character strafes left, but move the mouse left and your character's view turns left.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Then I guess my use of a mouse is "unconventional". I use it to look, aim with the buttons to move forward, backward, and all other buttons for various purposes like zoom, etc. That's what I've been "trained" since Duke Nukem 3D....

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, i just played on my friends' server against some other strangers, i was doing pretty well.. At first i was about 50/50. Then i slipped down to about 45/55, not bad i guess :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks