What's new

Okay, I need an honest no bs answer. (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Stable in what way?

My first reaction is yes due to the BDJ stuff within the PS3. The standalones seem to have more trouble than the PS3 with things like Pirates which have these new fancy smancy menus.

The 2nd gen Samsung supposedly is better than the 1000 in every way including a stellar picture. It was better than the PS3 but the PS3 just put out a new firmware that corrected MOST of the issues so it may now be a wash.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
One other consideration: usability. The PS3 remote is a Blutooth remote. Yes there are some workarounds, but if you want to just watch movies and you use a universal remote I would consider another player.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Having both the PS3 and the 1000 samsung ... both have their own stability issues.

I just got a replacement from Samsung for the 1000 since the last one just became too problematic. The new one appears more stable ... but knock on wood.

The Samsung is a stand alone player ... and works well as such. The PS3 needs the bluetooth remote to be even usable. The game controller as a remote does not cut it and don't fool yourself into thinking it is enough ... it won't be.

The PS3 gets hot ... and the fan is loud compared tot he samsung.

With the latest firmware upgrade... it does DVD better than the Samsung ... and it does HD better as well. Samsung still won't pass BTB on the HD material.

The samsung has the 5.1 audio analog outs ... the Sony does not.

If you have to get one ... likely get the PS3 over the 1000 ...

Unless you have no money ... then the 1000 it is.

Regards

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Samsung's new BD player is the BD-P1200 and it is very stable. Personally I prefer Panasonic's DMP-BD10A for $599. Save $200 and get TruHD lossless audio and 7.1 output plus the most reliable BD player.

-Robert

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm using a PS3. So far, it has been very stable. No freeze ups and no video or audio glitches; however, I'm using component video. I cannot speak for the stability of the HDMI connection. The one recurring glitch I have encountered is the PS3 control panel randomly popping up during movie playback.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I have a PS3 also... I used to get those anoyying controll panel popup.. but since the last 2 firmware updates, I havent seen any...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I think this must vary between units and situations. My PS3 (in a well ventilated location) runs pretty cool and its fan noise has been minimal in my usage.

I have been consistently amazed by what a nice player the PS3 has been. It is so fast and Sony has been doing a nice job keeping it updated. It has gotten to the point that when a movie is available in both HD formats for rent, I tend to go Blu just because I like using the PS3 more than my HD-A1.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Since I haven't owned either of the other two players you mentioned I can only say that my PS3 has become very stable after the last two firmware upgrades.

What's nice is that Sony is continually upgrading the player on a fairly regular basis and has a good amount vested in it's longevity as a viable player. Therefore I would expect them to continue to support it more heavily than say a typical standalone player which will likely be replaced by a newer model within a year.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The PS3 occasionally gets put into the equipment shelf that is part of the home theater. Ventilation is limited in there and when the Samsung was in there, nothing stood out in terms of heating. I opened the back access to the gear room with the PS3 in place and was hit with a wave of hot air. So absolutely, the PS3 needs good ventilation. The Samsung was fine.

I put a portable fan in the gear room to improve air circulation.

The main issue with the PS3 game controller as DVD remote is that relatively important buttons like chapter skip are placed on the bottom buttons on the controller. If you just set the controller down like most remotes ... you may activate a chapter skip and bang ... you lose your place in the film. Have to pick up the remote again and find the original spot in the film.

I've done it a few times and many of my friends and clients with the same PS3 share the same experiences.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, there have been a few times when I have knocked the controller off the couch and have had all sorts of fun things happen and since it is bt it doesn't matter if it falls behind the couch. That has been one of the frustrating things about using the controller as a remote.

I am fortunate that my PS3 is very well ventilated. That may change in the future with my new cabinet, but I will be planning for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks