okay guys, here is another 'help me pick out my sub' thread

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RoyceDB, Dec 10, 2003.

1. RoyceDB

RoyceDB Extra

This is my first thread and all at this site, so just wanna say hi to everyone. FWIW, I am kind of a newbie at all this, so stick with me[​IMG]

okay, here is the deal. Last summer I bought myself a HT6600DP home theater surround sound system from sony. The sub that came with it just doesn't have much power. At all. Frankly, the only reason why I haven't thrown it on my lawn yet is because the quality of the thing is pretty darn good.

So, my delima is to get a DYI sub. Of course, my first choice would be to get the Tempest and a pretty nice amp. My budjet is $500, but I do not mind going over if need be. All I really want is a sub(s) that has a lot of thump and all, but I definetly want quality, of both sound and construction, above any other factor. Now, since you guys are far beyond me in the knowledge of this stuff, I shall let you guys decide for what I should get. BTW, I do about 40%HT, 60%music. Also, construction of a box is super easy for me, just need measurements, which shouldn't be hard to get at all.

If you guys have any questions or anything, feel free to ask, of course. Oh, and BTW, links are very favorable[​IMG]

link to the HT system I have now:
    w w w.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=t-KjWMes6VejDPh7yGypU4iiggHfWAeDSwU=?CategoryName=ha v_HomeTheater_HTSeries&ProductSKU=HT6600DP&Dept=hav

2. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

3. RoyceDB

RoyceDB Extra

I did see that. However, I do relize that it is very similar, but I still think that it is different. However, I am probably going to end up doing the same thing. Tempest with a 350watt amp sounds good.

Also, was browsing through adire audio, and noticed the radiators. Is it worth it to buy that one kit with everything you need to do a sub, except the driver and box. It includes:
    TWO PR-15 15" high-displacement passive radiators
    One perforated metal grille for the driver (YOUR CHOICE: 8", 12" or 15")
    Two MG-15 15" two piece perforated metal grilles (for the PR-15)
    One DBP Dual Input binding post cup
    Six feet of 14GA-2C 14 gauge twin conductor wire
    Four TW-21 21 cm tie wraps
    Eight TN-8 8-32 T-nut/socket cap screw set (driver/PR-15 mounting)
    Twelve SC-8 8-32 by 2" black oxide screws (grille and input cup mounting)
    Two MLK mass load kit for the PR-15s

for $235. Is this worth it?
    Again, sorry for my noobness.

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I would expect with all that excursion you would have your woofer and/or PRs periodically bumping into the grilles, over time deforming the cone and surround of the woofer and surrounds of the PRs.

5. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

got a house? you need an IB.

do it right once and stop the sub upgrade madness.

6. RoyceDB

RoyceDB Extra

Rory~ok, so I take it that the whole package thing is dumb? How about just buying the radiators along?

Rich~sorry, but what is a IB? I am just putting it in my room, which is pretty big, but the sterio only "surrounds" about half of it (14'x11'). And yes, I want something that I don't need to upgrade from. Maybe twin Tempests?[​IMG]