What's new

Okay, convince me: DLP or Plasma? (1 Viewer)

Arvin_C

Agent
Hello everyone. It's time for me to upgrade from my FD-series Sony Wega (36") to a HD display. So, I've been pretty much sold on Samsung's HLN437W DLP monitor (43"). However, since pricing this thing out, I've now found that for about a $1000 or so more, I could go the plasma route.

I really love the bright, sharp picture that the Samsung DLP gives. Also, I like that the Samsung seems so flexible in terms of displaying different signals properly without the need for conversion.

In looking at plasmas, what does $4000-$4500 buy? Since the resolution of the display is "fixed", will a display in this price range give a true HD image?

The only reason I am even considering plasmas is that my current loft apartment only allows me 8'-10' from my seating position to the display. By mounting a panel, I would be able to reclaim close to 2 more feet.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Arvin_C

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm currently shopping between the 2 formats as well, read this forum there are a few threads discussing this topic in details, with info from both camps. One thing that I didn't know before reading this forum is that SD TV looks horrible on DLP (from what was posted). I still need to check that out at the store to see how bad "horrible" is. DLP is certainly cheaper than plasma, the difference in $ pays MOSTLY for it being thin and slim. Well, better that you read the other threads than my ramblings. Good luck!

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
The 2 factors that kept me from going Plasma are the main reasons some people stay away from them:

Burn in (even watching television with a fixed logo on the screen could do the job. So imagine if you're a game player. A definite no no.

Picture will deteriorate over a period of time. (Even manufacturers have said this is common) Why bother with the TV then if you're replacing in 2-3 years?

I tossed these into this topic incase you did a lot of what was mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Doesnt the Samsung have the DCDi chip in it to upconvert all 480i sources on it? Wouldnt that make standard stuff look better then?

Rich H

Second Unit
"Burn in (even watching television with a fixed logo on the screen could do the job. So imagine if you're a game player. A definite no no."

I have a Panasonic Plasma for 1 1/2 years now. I watch all types of material - many letter-boxed 2:35:1 movies, and my wife and kids watch tons of shows with hard logos for hours on end. Not a hint of burn in.

Others who have a plasma and who use the plasma for a variety of things: watching films/TV/computer display and playing games have not reported burn-in.

Over at the AVS PLasma forum virtually no-one has had burn in on their plasma (including many who've owned them a long time), except two people I can think of: One person who used their plasma for a year for *games only* (their kids used it for that) and another who watched 7 months straight of 4:3 TV with black sidebars. Those two examples would burn in on any CRT TV as well. But under normal use, with the picture settings turned down somewhat from factory burn-your-eyes mode, the burn-in hype, while possible just as it is with CRT, is way over-rated.

If you DO play a LOT of games then the new DLP/LCD-based displays offer your safest choice though.

"Picture will deteriorate over a period of time. (Even manufacturers have said this is common) Why bother with the TV then if you're replacing in 2-3 years?"

A myth!

Previous plasma panels were rated by manufacturers as 25,000 to 35,000 hours to half brightness (half brightness is probably when you'd want to replace it). At 4 hours of TV a day that's about 17 years. Manufacturer estimates for some of the newer plasmas are from 40,000 to 60,000 hours.
That's one hell of a lot of viewing.

Don't NOT buy a plasma based upon misinformation or over-hyped fears.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Impressive Rich! You are the first to enlighten me with that information. I'll read more into Plasmas through better sources, but even some major magazines were saying Plasmas were having those issues. Hmmm, sounds to me like you found an awesome set. Your setup is real nice too. Need to take pics of mine soon and post them

Rich H

Second Unit
Justin,

Unfortunately even many AV magazines have shown to be poor sources of information on plasma. I can't believe how many times I read incorrect crap about them in mags, although it's getting a lot better now.

Most amazing to me is how mis-informed many salesmen are about the plasmas they sell. Especially of course the Best Buy type stores where the salesmen are actually warning customers about low plasma life(and offering completely fabricated fees for "re-filling plasmas after a year or two," which is both an unnecessary and impossible thing to do. They should be charged for that scam). Salesmen are actually costing THEMSELVES sales on plasma because they haven't taken time to learn much about their product.

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
So true Rich...so true. You'd think they would ask for what you as an individual are looking for in a TV and go from there. Nope, most of them go on personal preference on what they would buy. Ah well...definitely do some research on your own without a salesmen affecting any decisions and I think you will come out with a winning TV. I use to be afraid to ask the Salesmen for the remote to look at the functions of the TV. Not anymore. Don't be afraid to test EVERYTHING out on them. After seeing Rich's photos of the picture his Plasma TV produces, I would say go that route if the money is there. Course I am very, VERY happy with my Samsung DLP so it's really a matter of preference I guess. Am I really helping here? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks