Okay, anyone care to help me setup a system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josiah, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Josiah

Josiah Auditioning

I was thinking about buying the RCA RT2500
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/of...25&rank=+price
    But, I may not because of the RCA speakers... anyone have any thoughts on them? Quality wise. A friend said he usually didn't like the sound of RCA, sounded cheap.
    I am looking to spend $300 on audio... receiver and speakers. I would like to buy a receiver with lots of inputs/outputs for future expansion and what I have now, dts, dd, etc. I also want great sounding speakers. So, anyone have any ideas? Should I go with a combo deal, speakers and receiver, or maybe not? Any ideas on what I get, I would GREATLY appreciate and will look into.
    I will be using this for audio and dvds, mostly I want a great movie experience.
    thanks!
    Josiah

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

If you really want "great" sounding speakers (which would
    also mean whatever feeds them) tack another zero onto
    that amount you've decided to spend.
    For $300, look into "Home Theatre in a box" solutions.
    These are speakers/receivers put out by various mfgs
    and are generally well-priced. Just make SURE it at
    least supports "dolby digital" otherwise it will not
    sound like anything. A friend bought a $130 system (processor/speakers) from Cosco made by Altec. Surprisingly, despite being a little on the weak side
    (sound power was low) it had very good sound. Principally,
    because the amplification (the amps were in the subwoofer!)
    were driven by high quality components (a toroidal transformer for one) and the new digital formats are
    "one chip" solutions so apart from the supporting
    analog sections of the processor/amp/receiver, most low
    to mid end digital gear sounds pretty much the same, but can sound very good as well. For your outlay, you will
    be getting a group of four miniature speakers (like Bose)
    a Dolby Digital decoder/preamp and a small subwoofer.
    Not great, but serviceable.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

First of all how big of a room will it go into and second how loud do you intend to play?

I'll tell you right now that unless it's a multimedia system that hooks up to a computer in a small room, the budget you have stated means that most likely you will upgrade everything shortly since $300 definitely won't buy a good AVR (unless used, my advice buy what sold for the $600+ about two years ago as these products should drop in price), not 5.1 speakers (you can maybe buy a sub or mains but not a complete set), and definitely not both.

My advice is to buy a Sherwood AVR if you go new because most float around $250 shipped and I would search Yahoo or auction sites for this. Use what speakers you have now if possible and buy or build speakers when you can afford them (buy a pair to use for mains now, then move these back and replace with a better LCR latter). Being budget strapped means if you have friends/family with tools use them and build a sub (check the advanced section of this forum) otherwise buy the Sony WM40 or the AudioSource SW15 and mod them. My advice is go used as much as possible for your budget.

4. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Josiah,

Good advice from Robert. I too think you will upgrade almost imediatly.

However, if you are stuck at $300 then you may want to consider an Aiwa set-up (or similar)....get the biggest you can for $300. In other words don't get the $270 unit if they have a $320 unit...find the dough. I have found that a few dollars in these units really transpose into added sound quality. DO NOT let the watts fool you.

Good Luck!

Phil

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

ok, first off, the rca system, is not that good. these are just my personal opinions.
    i would have to say get the panasonic SA-HE 90 or 100. best bang for the buck.
    speaker wise, it's a little more difficult. probably look for a complete setup from a good company. energy, psb paradigm, polk, infinity. there are many more, just look around before you buy something.
    I have the alpha series psb's they sound awsome....Most companies now have a complete ht system, 5 speakers with a sub....if you buy a ht in a box, you will be wanting to upgrade almost imediately......
    again this is just my opinion,
    steve[​IMG]

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I don't want to upset anyone, but ~750 (IMHO) and up would be a realistic budget to get a quality system w/ a sub, five speakers and a receiver and the wiring. This will hold you over much longer then a HTIB.

7. Josiah

Josiah Auditioning

Well, I went ahead and spent $320 on a $400 system, the Sony HTDDW840, 600watts, 100watt sub. Cheap wire, so I upgraded with a MonsterCable kit. Seems like a nice receiver, and good speakers. Can't wait to get it setup! Got it cheaper since it was a return with no box. I also opted for the Circuit City 3year warrenty deal... So if it blows I'll get it replaced.. and if it doesn't, I may try and blow it so I can get it replaced before the warrenty expires. [​IMG] Anyone have any tips on doing that effectively? hehe, maybe that's another thread.
    Thanks for the advice. I can't spend that much on a home theater... this should more than do the trick for me, and my small 12x15 bedroom.
    Thanks! Best,
    Josiah