Okay amp experts...a simple question..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy G, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I'm looking at both the Outlaw 755 and 770 and making an assumption(perhaps incorrectly) that the torroids are the same size/va rating in both amps. The obvious question: If the two torroids are only sharing 2 and 3 channels respectively in the 755, and 3 and 4 channels in the 770, wouldn't it be considerably easier for the 755 to output full rated power to all channels simultaneously than for the 770 to do the same?

Enlightenment appreciated

Randy

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Randy,
    We could explain it to ya, but you wouldn't understand. Especially since I gave you the number to the shop but you somehow called me at home! [​IMG]
    To answer your question, it makes logical sense to me, but then what do I know? BTW, didn't you start a small war with this type of question about 6-12 months ago?
    Brian
    P.S. The new Sherwood Newcastle 7-channel amp looked nice at CEDIA!

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Hi Bri,

Resend the number, would ya? I'll try again. Or G-d forbid, you could call me?!
    Me...start a war? I don't think so, but then again, my memory ain't what it used to be. My query is definitely not meant to be taken as a flame thrower...it's fairly innocuous in my opinion.
    Shoot, I didn't even know Sherwood was coming out with a 7 channel amp. Any link or info on it?

Ran

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Randy,

I'll send it again. Now that I'm "self employed" I've been trying to keep my long distance calling down.

I do have some literature on the new SN 7 channel amp that I can dig out some specs from. Also, I believe Jeff Hipps of Sherwood America posted the specs somewhere here on the forum a while back. I do know that MSRP is right around $1500.

Brian

5. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I just ran a search and came up with nothing on the SN amp other than something YOU posted a while ago. Are you sure you're not making something up?
    Let's hear the specs, or at least the new model number. Then I'll tell ya why I'm curious.

Ran

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Its not just the torroid size that is needed to meet required output but a number of other factors in the powersuppply like the filter capacitance and things like the number of output devices and their rating. You could have a big reservoir (power supply) while the faucet(output devices) could be small and you wont be able to meet the flow (output) requirements. OTOH the faucet could be big with a small reservior connected to it and then again you wont be able to meet the output requirements. So don't judge a poweramp by its torriod rating but look at all the other factors too.

Classe uses small torroids in their amps like the CAV 180 uses only a single 1 KVA torroid to deliver 180 W @ 8 ohms and 360 W @ 4 ohms. We all know most other separate amps with bigger torroids can't match those ratings.

Hope that helps.