What's new

OK. Zeroing in on PT-47WX42. Need some feedback. (1 Viewer)

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
When the search was getting hopeless, I looked at the cheapest HDTV I could find and came up with this Panasonic 47" inch model which pretty much meets all of my constraints and does not seem to be a bad set (0.52mm dot pitch sounds good for the price).
It's $1509 at onecall.com including shipping with potential price matching at Sears.
All I need now, is some feedback from you folks.
Please tell me pros and cons of this particular model.
Also, please let me know what the 4/3 material viewing options are with it, how well it displays 480i signals from cable and DVD and the horizontal resolution (total lines) if anyone knows.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
stretch modes are iffy, but a lot of that is personal preference.

no DVI. if you care (i don't, but you may).

really, those are about it. otherwise, it's a great TV for the money. with some tweaking (or even better - a full calibration) it will amaze you.

EugeneR

Second Unit

The options are ZOOM, FULL, and JUST. Most people, myself included, prefer JUST mode, in which the picture is stretched more on the sides than in the middle. Since most of the action takes place in the middle of the screen, you don't notice the stretch as much.

From the reviews I've seen, most people seem to love this TV. I'm one of those people. The picture from a digital cable source is surprisingly good, and DVD viewing, even straight out of the box, is outstanding. The Panny line of TV's seems to be an excellent value from what I've read (and seen).

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Eugene.
By now, I'm pretty convinced that's the TV I want (or rather the 53" model.
The tough decision I'm faced with right now is whether to get the model with the protective screen or the one without (53WX41 or 53WX51).
The price difference from where I plan to buy is about $100 which I would be willing to dish out because I have a mischievous little 16mo. girl. The big concern is that some people complain about the screen diminishing the picture quality. I have not seen this model on stores so I don't know how bad it is.
Another alternative would be to buy a piece of furniture on top of which I could set the TV beyond the reach of my daughter and put my A/V equipment below. However, I don't know if this furniture exists.
Please comment on the issue of the protective screen, everyone.
This is the only thing holding me from buying at this moment.
All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Regards.

Matt_Key

Agent
Manolo, I have been enjoying the 53wx42 for 2 weeks now. I cannot imagine putting this 175 pound tv ontop of any kind of furniture. I believe doing this will mess up your direct 'eye level' view from the couch.
You may want to consider a wide A/V rack that you can put in front of the tv to shield the bare screen. Put your components, and maybe your center speaker on this rack. It could get messy with cables though.
ps. about the stretch modes. I am watching the braves in Just mode right now (through an analog antenna :) )... and it looks good to me! I adjusted to the stretch within one day. Im not big on tv programming though. This tv is incredible with a component dvd connection.
Matt

Tim_B

Agent
Hey Matt, how far do you sit away from your TV? I will be about 8.5 feet from the screen. Do you think the 53" is too big? Particularly with NTSC material?

Matt_Key

Agent
I sit 7.5 feet away from my 53 inch. I find DVD viewing at this distance to be fine. I only get 2 'clear' channels on my analog antennae (TBS and UPN) and they are also comfortable from this distance. With other channels, the ghosting and scan lines can be disturbing.

You should be good at 8.5 feet. I read alot of people watch there 47s at 7-8 feet. Check it out at circuit city. It feels like a movie theater.

Matt

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Please keep opinnions coming.

I'm still caught amid the choice of protective screen vs. none.
I'm yet to see it in stores but would like to hear your opinnions and the alternatives of making my own protective screen if it will look better than the original.

I'm afraid the screen will be a necessity with little children at home.

Thanks.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
It would be easier, I'd think, to control the lighting to reduce or eliminate glare than to make the set inaccessible to a 16-month-old.

With a kid in the house, I'd definitely get the protective screen.

Jan

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with your statement, Jan.
That's why I'm convinced I need some kind of protection.

However, I think glare is not the only apparent problem with these protective screens.

Is picture quality affected by this built-in screen?
Am I better off doing one myself (picture-quality-wise)?

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
I looked on onecall.com (great price by the way) and could not find the option to add a protective screen. I have 3 little ones and that would be a must for me. This is the same TV I've got on the top of my list right now. You will have to let me know if sears lets you price match. I'm still a ways off from being able to buy it, so once you get it i'd like to hear your review/opinions of it.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Chuck, after I started this thread, I was told that I can buy direct from Panasonic with a substantial discount that will get me the set for a little less money than onecall.com.
Therefore, I will not try the price match at Sears.
However, I have read many posts about it, and many people have obtained a price match with a printout from the onecall.com website, so I'm confident you will get it.
I did it myself once with a subwoofer, and they chopped the price down from $199 to $129.
Try at one Sears, and if they don't want to do it, try another one.
Now I'm feeling the pressure, I have gone to 3 Sears and two Best Buys and none of them have the model with the screen. I have the TV waiting for me, the wife all pumped up with the prospect and don't know how I'm going to make the decision between screen or no screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks