What's new

OK will this help, or should I save my cash?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
dts decoder
I have a kind of, cheap 5.1 receiver, but it does a good job...
It has 6ch inputs and I was thinking about adding a little to my system...
Would this be an improvement? Or save for that Panny?
Will I notice an marked sonic difference, or will it be mediocre at best??

David Judah

Screenwriter
Save your money for a new receiver. It will have a DTS decoder built in with better processing and probably some of the newer flavors of DTS among many other benefits.

DJ

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Does the XR50 have 6ch output? Some of the reviews I've read seems to be a bit modest on the power.(some people are using them for a bedroom system.)
Could I use it as a pre amp and utilize my existing receiver, Or would I kill all the apparent benefits of the digital format??
I originally got hot on this subject, (less the obvious upgraditis), because I thought about adding a two channel receiver to my system, but I have no existing pre-outs in my current receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd be looking for as much power as I could afford with a room that size. I might look at something used or watch for a manufacturer to discontinue a line-up for a new one and pick up "last year's" model when they close them out.

GBTCA :D

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Yeah, that's why I was looking for a little addition.
I'm not sure I listen to ref. levels, but I get good clarity, and volume, without really maxing out my cheappie.

What about the HK 235...? 335...? was really looking at these, when I was turned on to a post about the Panny
Can't really swing the 635.
What about using the Panny as a pre-?
Anyone??

GBTCA??

David Judah

Screenwriter
It doesn't have pre-outs and you wouldn't want to do that anyways because you'd be bypassing the direct signal path/no feedback amp section.

I have an XR25 in a 24'x17'x9'room driving 5 B&Ws & 2 Infinitys(SBs)which are probably similiar in impedance & sensitivity to your Paradigms. The two SBs are presenting a 4 ohm load which is even more of a strain and it will still go louder than I ever need it to go.

That said, you couldn't go wrong with an HK either, it just depends which sonic signature you prefer and if you need some of the extras the HK provides.

DJ

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OT:

I believe this was a contest some notable newspaper held for the craziest theorem:

3rd RUNNER-UP (Subject: Probability Theory) If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway signs, these rednecks will eventually produce Braille versions of all the world's great literary works.

2nd RUNNER-UP (Subject: Bio-Mechanics) Why is yawning contagious? When you yawn, you equalize the pressure around your eardrums. The result of this pressure change outside your eardrums ever-so-slightly unbalances other people's ear pressures, so they must then yawn to even it out.

1st RUNNER-UP (Subject: Newtonian Mechanics) Deforestation might actually make the earth spin faster on its axis. Just as figure skaters' rates of spin increase when their arms are brought in close to their bodies, the cutting of tall trees may cause our planet to spin dangerously fast.

HONORABLE MENTION (Subject: Linguistic) In the English language, the total quantity of consonants is constant. If consonants are omitted in one place, they simply turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks his cah," the lost 'Rs' migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car.

GRAND PRIZE WINNER (Subject: Perpetual Motion) When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands buttered-side down. If we strap giant slabs of hot buttered toast to the backs of 100 tethered cats; the two opposing forces will cause the cats to hover, spinning inches above the ground. Using the power of this GBTCA (Giant Buttered Toast/Cat Array), a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking for sound upgrades, the last thing to upgrade is your reciever. Start with your speakers. You may not need to upgrade your receiver at all. I've had multi-thousand dollar separates in my house, and I've gone back to a first-gen 1997 model DD only receiver and it sounds just as good to my ears as the separates did. Speakers stayed the same, sound stayed the same.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

Jeez, I hope not...
(maybe the rears, but they're ok for the info that gets sent to them...)
I AM glad someone revived this for me though, as I won one on e-bay after all..(the Technics SH-AC500D DTS/DD Decoder)
Question is; do I just need rca's? or do I need standard digital coax to connect the 6ch outs to the inputs on my receiver??
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks