OK, Why do we buy Bookshelf?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertSchaez, Jul 19, 2002.

1. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Now that we've heard from those big speaker people, why do some of us buy bookshelf speakers? Is it just price or space considerations? Or do they "image" better than their bigger, more expensive cousins? What, if any, tradeoffs are there with a bookshelf/sub combo for music over a full range, floorstander setup. Ya know, inquiring minds want to know...

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I own bookshelves because in my price range, you get much more bang for your buck by going with a bookshelf speaker. Plus, the extra extention offered by a tower is of little use to me because I am using a sub.
    Plus, they look cool on stands [​IMG]
    http://www.markfitzsimmons.com/pics/studioseries.jpg

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Generally, bookshelf speakers tend to be the sonic equivalent of towers about double the price. That is a very general statement and is IMO of course.

That alone is sufficient reason.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Because we haven't heard good towers. ala thiel, magnapan, martin logan.

I love 'em all and have yet to hear a book shelf that matched 'em.

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I'd like to think there is a difference between towers and planars, but oh well.

You say it like bookshelf people hate towers, its not like that. I actually prefer towers, its just not practical on my budget.

6. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

I recently moved to bookshelf speakers because my old speakers were a safety hazard! I was using a set of KLH Model 6s on 12" stands, and with their weight and the instability of stands, I was afraid my infant son would pull them onto himself while learning to stand/walk! Those things are just too heavy!

The floor standers didn't seem to offer too much of an improvement on stability at my price range. They seem to be tall and very narrow. I ended up with NHT SB-3s (which I LOVE!) safely stowed above the TV. They will stay there for a little while until it is safe to once again stand-mount them in proper acoustic positions.

A little audio sacrifice for removing one more potential hazard is a fair price to pay. I'm actually surprised how good they sound despite the poor acoustic placement. I'm also surprised at how well they perform on the low stuff. Not as deep as the massive KLH, but better than there size would suggest.

Chris

7. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

With a broad brush stroke,

better imaging
    easier to manipulate bass response by using a subwoofer
    more bang for buck
    better WAF
    less domineering to eye

and for my particular model they are just that good.

Some bookshelfs are designed to be comprimising, but others are made to be top of the rung type products that can compete with just about anything.

8. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

10. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Evan, I am confused by something:

11. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The reason I buy bookshelves is because of floor space It can be harder to place towers in an ideal listening position. I have 16 feet of shelving along the wall holding all of my gear, including my bookshelf speakers. I am not giving up all my shelving storage space to be able to place towers. And if I ever move to where I have the floor space, then I can adapt the bookshelves by adding stands. Bookshelves have more flexiability in placement than towers.

12. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

I enjoy seeing the looks on people's faces when they hear sublime music coming from a 8x8x12 box.

13. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Evan - My broad statement was kind of a rib poker if you know what I mean. [​IMG]
    Pros for bookshelves in my book - great sound at a good price, size.
    Difficulties are the sub and blending well. I never could understand using a sub with towers, kind of defeats the purpose of a tower speaker.

14. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I got bookshelf speakers because:
    a) towers would have been more than double the price.
    b) they look really cool. high WAF
    c) they sound awesome

15. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

waf...?

16. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Joe, WAF....wife acceptance factor (meaning bookshelf speakers look cooler).

17. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I have bookshelfs because I dont have the space for anything else, I dont have stands either. My bookshelfs are actualy... on a bookshelf! Who would have thought of that [​IMG]
    Bookshelfs are better for HT, because its alot easier, and cheaper, to get the same model of bookshelf speaker for all the surround positions, then it is to get towers. And, the full range response of a tower dosent matter when your using a sub.
    I plan on setting up a strictly 2 channel system when a get a bigger place. I dont plan on having a sub in that set-up [​IMG]

18. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

The primary reason for me buying my bookshelf speakers was for space reasons. Although I have three systems in my house, only one (living room) has floor standing speakers. I do most of my watching/listening in the master bedroom, which is average sized I guess for a master bedroom. Well, the thing is also where I kick back and relax. I have a king sized bed, a huge computer center with a large L-shaped oak desk. Racks and racks of CD's, DVD's, etc., a 55" Mitsubishi wide screen and, of course, my audio equipment, which requires a rack, as well as a separate area for my very hot running Parasound amp. Bookshelf speakers take up much less room, hence I went with them. I also honestly preferred the sound of my bookshelves to their floor standing counterparts. If I had a dedicated home theater room, I might consider floor standing speakers. It would probably depend on the brand, how the floor standing compared to the bookshelf, and how the speakers looked.

19. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I think it is also erroneous to say that bookshelves can't do bass.
    True some can't get very low but there also plenty of designs where the speaker can reach 40Hz or even below.

I used to own Klipsch 10.5 floorstanders similar to whatever the new refence model is called that has dual 8" woofers and rear porting.

My new bookshelves beat those hulking towers in bass response at a third of the size, of course they cost ~$4000 more but still it isn't even close when it comes to bass or anything else for that matter.

20. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

We buy bookshelves because the stands look so cool! [​IMG]
    Pete