OK, Who's an IGN Insider member here? Their Rallisport Challenge REVIEW is UP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Masood Ali, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Anybody here have access? I'm curious as to what the score was, pros/cons, etc.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9.2 is the score.
    Pros (taken from thier review):
    Wow. This is the Halo of racing games. Detailed textures, gorgeous lighting, tons of effects.
    Realistic, well-mixed 5.1 sound effects and a decent techno soundtrack. Next time, even more road noise please
    RalliSport is a highly playable, fast and exciting racer that just happens to be a rally game. A must-have
    Cons (again from the recview):
    The multiplayer options lack depth (split-screen single race only) and the career mode could have been deeper, but there are plenty of tracks and cars to unlock.
    Some other comments (from the review):
    -Let's get this out of the way first: RalliSport Challenge goes for fun over realism
    -Which brings me to what makes this game so much fun: it feels just right. Unlike most rally racers, RalliSport Challenge is not only fast, it also features truly exciting tracks
    -The first time I played Halo, I asked myself how long we'd have to wait to see another Xbox game with textures that look this good when viewed up close. If you don't know what I'm talking about and you've been too busy blasting the Talmadge Blevins-like grunts, pop in Halo, put away your blaster for a second, and walk up to a tree and look at the bark. That's some sweet texture design (and mip-mapping) right there. Well, turns out that we didn't have to wait all that long. Thanks to Digital Illusions, RalliSport Challenge not only plays great, it's also a graphical tour-de-force with detailed textures, beautiful lighting, and smooth framerates all around.
    -Likewise, competing in an ice race not only feels different from hill climb, it requires you to adjust your driving to turn into curves earlier and to use your brakes more often to keep from crashing into barriers.
    Hope thats what you wanted[​IMG]

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Peer just loves this game. [​IMG]
    He even called it "the new King of Xbox Racers". Another $50 on an Xbox game next week already. Whoooohooo! [​IMG]

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Thanks a bunch Romier!

5. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

If it's as good as they say it is, it makes up for Wreckless.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yes looks promising, doesn't it! Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Knockout Kings 2002 - if they can get a game engine that is responsive enough that'll make 2 upcoming purchases.

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Lou, have you thought about UFC Tapout instead? It's a pretty good port of the DC version I guess with prettier graphics. NO new gameplay elements, though. A great fighting game Xbox choice if you never played it for DC.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Man after two months of XBox game drought, boom the 'Box is a rockin' again!!!

Can't say the same for the GCN though, it was getting so bad with dust that Diana told me to dust it:b

10. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Here is the whole thing:

11. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Hey Ryan - UFC style doesn't turn my crank. What can I say - I'm an old fogey.

I want a good boxing game - that's the kind of fighting game I like.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Ahh, it was a different Digital Illusions that developed Shrek. That makes more sense, I had just assumed that it was DICE.

14. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

16X9 widescreen, 5.1 sound. I'm there. Bring it on. This'll fit nicely between DOA3 and Madden 2002.

15. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Sweet. This weekend was the first time I have bought new Xbox games since launch (picked up NBA2k2 and All Star Baseball). Now it look like another couple of purchases coming up already (rallisport and knockout kings maybe).

Gotham racing was very good, but got very hard in the later stages (i still havent got all gold's yet). A new arcade-racer is just what I need!

JP