What's new

Ok,who still isn't convinced the Rams are The Greatest Show On Earth? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
After Sunday's game against the Pack it became abundantly clear that the Rams not only have arguably the best offense in NFL history but now they have a defense to match.Bring on Philly and we'll see you in The Big Easy.

GO RAMS!!!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
...the Rams not only have arguably the best offense in NFL history but now they have a defense to match.
Sorry, but I have to pick on your choice of words here. The best defense? They don't even have the best defense this year, let alone in HISTORY! :D

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not saying they have the best defense in history,just that now they have a great defense to go along with their incredible offense.Their defense went from being ranked 23rd last year to 3rd this year.You have to admit that's a huge turnaround.And since you didn't disagree about the Rams having arguably the best offense in NFL history I assume you argee.:D

DanaA

Screenwriter
Having been a Ram's fan since the 60's and having lived through the horrible Rams of most of the 90's, I really, really enjoyed yesterday's game. On a down day for the offense, the defense just took over the game. Eight (I think 6 interceptions and 2 fumbles) is unheard of, but beware of the hard road they have ahead of them. Pittsburgh in particular is a monster team this year if the Rams should end up facing them in the big one. Go Rams!!!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Here's a shocker: The Packers defense outplayed the Rams defense. Yep. You read that right.

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

The only team that can beat the Rams is the Rams.

By making that statement about the Rams it takes away what the Saints and Bucs did to the Rams during the season. And as such, I feel that the Rams defense deserves to have some of the credit taken away because of the turnovers yesterday. After all, turnabout is fair play.

I wasn't as impressed with the Rams Defense as much as I was with the Packers defense. The packers defense actually held the Rams to 17 points. Take away the three defensive TDs and the four yard short field and the game is 17-17 in the 4th quarter...

But alas...so goes Favre in domes...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
William,

I kinda have to disagree with you on the point that Green Bay's defense outplayed the Ram's defense. I'm not saying you are wrong, more that it's not as cut and dried as that. You can say that G.B. committed 8 turnovers. You could also say that St. Louis players were in position to make the plays to force the turnovers. You could say that G.B. gave the game away. You could also say that S.L.'s defense stepped up and took the game away. I will agree that Green Bay's defense played superb...well enough to allow the Pack a chance to win. But, I don't agree that the Rams were just beneficiaries of gifts. They hustled, they read Favre, they reacted to the ball...i.e., they made plays.

As for the original question...don't be so quick to forget the fiasco that took down Minnesota when they were "unbeatable" in 1998. They scored more points than the Rams did (556 to 503) and looked as loaded as the Rams. Yet, does anyone consider that team to be the greatest of all time? That honor goes to Super Bowl winners. St. Louis hasn't won anything yet and all that flash and dazzle won't mean squat unless they do win it all.

Bruce

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Brett Favre and Green Bay are better than they looked against the Rams. Why? The Rams. That team speed on turf is lethal.

While the Ravens D got all the "all-time" talk last year the real monster we are seeing is the Rams. I think they are 85 Bears, 78 Steelers good as a TEAM. While it's their offense that's the star, their defense is as good at the Bears and Steelers offense was (which was pretty strong too).

As a Colts fan I am happy for Faulk who I never wanted to see traded and have regretted it ever since. I still stand by my belief that it was a bad trade for the Colts. Faulk was a joy to watch play in Indy, and he is just as amazing in St. Louis.

Warner is the thing that really gets me though. I still can't believe his story, it's truly remarkable. He's an amazing QB.

However, as good as Kordell has looked I think the Steelers are going to match up well with the Rams. I really like Joey Porter on the Steelers, he's tough.

It might not be a 1979 rematch, but I'll be very suprised if it isn't. It should be a great SuperBowl this year.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
You want to see some defense?

Sunday, 3:30 Eastern. Look for the team in green.

I know the Rams are an offensive juggernaut but heck, they lost to the Buccaneers and the Giants* Saints at home. Plus they only beat the Eagles by 3 (in overtime) in Week 1 this season.

The Rams are 11-point favorites and rightly so: their offense is simply unreal. But the Eagles are now 8-1 on the road this year, so anything's possible.

Surely it's never a good idea to "look past" an opponent.

*Edit: I thought it was NY, but it was actually NO.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
IF the Rams survive the physical beating they receive from the Eagles this week, I look for the Steelers to snuff them in the big game.

The Rams' defense deserves some credit compared to last year, but they've had the advantage of playing with a lead in the 2nd half of most games.

I could be wrong (it happens) but I expect that if they come up against a defense strong enough to keep the game close and a solid ball control game, they will crumble (cf. Dungy Ball, except the Steelers' defense is looking much tougher than the Bucs' this year)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Rams? What art thou talking about? Some curious American sport? :D

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Best Offense in NFL history? Ever heard of a QB named Joe Montana and a team he QBed called the SF 49ers?

Best Defense in in NFL history? I think not, no question the 1985 Chicago Bears would shut Warner and the Rams down.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Bruce:

I agree that the Rams FORCED the turnovers(except the first one where Shroeder kept going and Favre threw a slant/in route) but they weren't exactly bone jarring hits that forced five fumbles. They were players tipping the ball and being extremely lucky that a player was in the spot to catch the ball and take it to the house. And Green's fumble at the freakin' sideline. That's a ball that bounces out of bounds more than half the time.

But like I said: when people say "nobody can beat the Rams but the Rams" it gets me upset because some defense has to force those turnovers. And in the case of the Saints and Bucs, Warner and Co. aren't giving those gift turnovers(like Hakim's punt return fumble in their play-off game last season).

So, it needs to be a two way street. If when the Rams lose by commiting four or more turnovers, they only beat themselves, then I'd definately say that the Packers beat themselves with EIGHT.

I'm not taking anything away from the Rams defense, they just need to do it for a couple seasons. The Ravens defense last year was good for a year or two previous. As were the Eagles, Bucs, Dolphins, etc.....

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
The Rams have their problems, it's just that they out-score their problems each and every time when it counts.

All these so call great offences were originated from Bill Wash-Joe Mantana days, and still no match to those good old days.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Scott, nothing against your team (I had McNabb and Staley on FFL teams - as you know with Staley :)), but that was then and this is lately.
When Faulk came back healthy that team turned into a monster. If it was in Philly that would be one thing, but in St. Louis and with that defensive team speed they eliminate the McNabb scramble effect. Duce has not looked good enough lately running the ball to think that Philly will be able to bruise them up. Pittsburgh maybe, but not Philly.
And my team is the Colts, my NFC team is probably the Saints and Bucs (always have been for 20 years, guess it was the uni's and the losing :)). So I am not saying this from the heart, it's just what it looks like to me.
Joe was a clutch winner, but other than that Warner's show can run up the yardage and points just as well, if not better. Faulk is better than Craig or Tyler were. Holt isn't Rice, but the offensive scheme utilizes the Rams multi-talent well enough to make up the difference.
In fact the Rams remind me of the 84 Dolphins if they had Walter Payton too. That's scary to me.
Making sure this is clear, the Rams D is not all-time great. At #3 THIS YEAR that makes no sense. But IIRC the Bears offense or Steelers offense weren't the BEST in their years either. Just very solid. Combined with the other side of the ball being all-time great made them stellar.
The Rams just won a SB, how quickly we forget it seems. Everyone wanted it to be a fluke I think since they aren't smash-mouth.
However, they are more bitch-slap lately and that's just as bad. :D
The Steelers O-line helps as does the big runners AND big receivers. They can bully the situation a little bit. Enough? I wouldn't bet for or against that one. :)
But maybe I'll eat crow, prepared kosher by Scott of course. ;)
In a side note it's party-time for me. Dungy, my favorite NFL coach for years, is now coaching my team. I'm thrilled. I rarely have a "fav coach" but I first like Dungy at Minnesota and was really happy when he got the Tampa spot. I knew he could bring winning to that team. I'm certain he can do it for the Colts too.
Hell, take away some key injuries and the team would have been good this year too. Losing your #1 running threat, thus allowing defenses to sit in zone (Rhodes is fine but his rushing went up because teams leaned on the pass instead, thus the INTs for Peyton). Losing your best defensive player (Peterson). Losing your #2 WR (#1 at the time in stats), Pathon.
Dungy is sitting pretty like Larry Bird was, getting a team whose core was already a winning one that struggled only the one year before with injuries.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Seth: You better just hope that Dungy doesn't screw with your offense. If he leaves it to Tom Moore, you'll be fine and a Super Bowl contender as early as next year(with a good draft). I definately see the Colts being serious in 2003.

Dungy isn't coaching in Tampa anymore because he couldn't gameplan the offense. He also couldn't hire anyone who could take the parameters he gave them with the talent the team had and consistently keep the Bucs successful.

He talks about execution alot but it's tough to out-execute the opponent when they're as good as you are AND know what's coming.

And hey, the Colts are tied for my second favorite AFC team with the Raiders and behind the Texans.

PS I sure hope the Bucs can get Jon Gruden from Oakland...

And on topic:

I'm still not convinced that they're the greatest show....

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Surely it's never a good idea to "look past" an opponent.
Scott; the Rams are NOT looking past the Eagles. I have not heard anyone on the team or in the St. Louis media talking about facing the Steelers or Patriots in the Super Bowl.
The Rams have a lot of respect for the Eagles. Here are some headlines from todays Post-Dispatch:
  • RAMS PREPARE FOR AN ALL OUT BLITZ
  • Rams are getting ready for relentless assault
  • A Flock of Eagles will try to swarm all over Warner
I know you and the rest of Philly have a lot of hatred for the Rams and St. Louis. But trust me, we have a lot of respect for the city of Philadelphia and the Eagles.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I know you and the rest of Philly have a lot of hatred for the Rams
I'd really appreciate it if you didn't assume my "hatred" for anyone. Please show me where in my posts I've displayed hatred.

And you really shouldn't pretend to know what "Philly Fans" think. If you've read some nasty articles or something, blame the author, not my hometown.

Lastly, I've seen more than my share of "Rams/Steelers Super Bowl" predictions to know that several Rams fans take the Eagles way too lightly. (What's the spread at now? 12? Gimme a break!)

Aside from their nauseating prediliction for running up the score, I have no animosity towards the Rams whatsoever. I've been a football fan long enough to have respect for a team as talented as the Rams. Quite honestly, their offensive squad terrifies me.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a Rams fan Scott.
But my prediction would be Rams/Steelers. However, I don't think oddsmakers are the same as the Rams team. It's not like the bookies call up Faulk and say "What should we make the odds on you beating the Eagles."
You sound a little bit burned up on the fact that the Eagles are the underdogs. As a Colts fan I got used to that. But you know what, it's much worse being the favorite (we found out). You get no respect for winning and half the time you go nowhere.
Freaking Colts struggled for respect, got it, and pissed it away. So you might want to enjoy the underdog hero status while your team has it.
Plus, who the hell wants an all PA Super Bowl ;). They'd have to move it from New Orleans to Harrisburgh. :)
As for Dungy, he's already said he plans on keeping Tom Moore. He knows this is perfect for him, just like Minny was. He gets to run the defense and can let someone else put the offense on auto-pilot for him. I've never been so thrilled with a new coach, except maybe Larry Brown. (I liked Ron Meyer too)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
My apologies; maybe it's not hatred but you certainly don't care for them.
From the NFL Playoffs Thread
(What's the spread at now? 12? Gimme a break!)
That means very little. It's set by oddmakers in Las Vegas when trying to figure income from bets. My feelings are that the Rams will not cover the spread. Rams win 24 to 21 in an excellent game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks