Ok, which would sound better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve paul, Jan 16, 2002.

1. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

As I posted before, I bought a 49tx to replace my Denon 5800. Like the 49tx way better than the denon. THEN I ran across a sunfire cinema grand amp really cheap so I bought it and hooked it up to the 49 - WOW, big power boost, even though the 49 is rated at 130 watts into 8 ohms, the sunfire is 200 watts, but I liked the addition of the amp. NOW, since i just bought the 49, I can return it for a brand new Sunfire Cinema Grand II - My question is, which would sound better? The sunfore Theater Grand II hooked up to the cinema grand amp, or the 49tx hooked up to the cinema grand?

I only have a 5.1 system, with Monitor Ausio Gold ref 60's up front and GR10's and GR center, with a Velo HGS-18 sub. Would there be an improvement with the Theater Grand II combo? I keep reading how there is such a big improvement in the series II sunfire, e specially with music. How about HT?

Anyone have a theatre grande II/cinema grand combo?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I have read that the Sunfire pre-amps can be/have been buggy as hell. I would probably stick with the Pioneer receiver for now or give it back (if you can), or sell it (if you can't) because for only $4,000 retail you can get an Integra Research RDC-7 pre-amp that is really the cat's meow in the upper-mid priced processor market. Rated as a AAA class product in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.

It has practically everything and is hardware/software upgradeable. Onkyo even made good on their P.L. II and DTS-ES + ergonomics software upgrade with a very inexpensive do-it-yourself solution (the ones you buy at the dealer now are already upgraded). There is a port to add FireWire support in the future too, it uses professional digital bitstream master clocking and 24 bit/192 kHz DAC's (that can also upsample 44.1 and 48 kHz signals), high bandwidth HDTV analog component video switching, phono pre-amp jack input, Dolby AC-3 RF demodulator (for AC-3 LDs; a rarity), and has fully balanced, professional grade XLR audio outputs as well (and unbalanced RCA). Call it a Lexicon MC-12 lite if you will (but with 8 channels instead of 12 and a much lower sticker price).

Sounds a lot better than using a receiver as a pre-amp to me, and it's far more future proof. If I had the money, the RDC-7 would be on my short list.

Dan

3. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Steve,

Does the Elite's room correction feature make a difference?

I think you should just get a prepro and compare yourself, at home, for at least a week (can't be just one day, because you are likely to interpret a "new" sound as "better" initially).

Ricky

4. steve paul

The elite makes a diff in DVD's, but I prefer to leave the eq off for music. I am going out today and picking up a Theater Grand II, I iwll try it out for a few days and if I like it better, Ill keep it, if not Ill keep the Elite. The Elite still gets hot even though Im not using any of the amps in it, and I hear the Theater Grand II runs cool s does the sunfire amp. Anyway, Ill post back in a few days about my final decision.

5. steve paul

Well the Theater Grand II sounded liek crap compared to the Elite 49tx as a pre/pro - The TGII lacked bass, made my sub in DVD's sound like crap and sounded very thin. I can not believe it sells for so much. The TGII should cost $999 - Im keeping the Eliete 49tx. I could not find anyone in my area thats sells Integra products..and Im in Phx, AZ..