What's new

ok.. whatcha think of this deal??? (1 Viewer)

Sean Mullin

Agent
here is what my local shop has offered me.. what is your opinion on the pieces.. and reciever?? what is your opinion on the whole Package???

Yammy

RX-V657

Paradigm

Monitor 7 (1 pr)
CC-170
PDR-12
*DELETE* ADP-170 (1 pr) oops.. should have read..
Cinema ADP (1 pr)

1550.00 plus tax (US dollars)

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I have not clue price wise...but I have the 657- nice unit. The Pardigms are great also...should be a nice combo IMO.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I'm a big fan of Paradigm.....I've had a lot of their stuff and I often recommend it. Great value!

I think if I was in your position, I'd go with the 5 or the 11s over the 7s, get the bigger center, and not even TOUCH the PDR subwoofer. I don't like the PDR series at all.....WAY overpriced. I'd go with an SVS PB-10 instead. Those surrounds should be fine if you're using your system for movies and stereo listening....if you are heavy into multi-channel audio, you may find them lacking.

I've always liked the Yammy receivers!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The CC170 is not the center that matches the Moitor series....it is the matching center for the lower model down. If I were in your shoes I would opt for the Monitor 5's, cc370 and the SVS metioned or an HSU STF2 or VTF2 and also would not get the ADP 170's, I would save a bit of cash and go for mini monitors for the rears. Maybe put the money saved in better fronts or a better sub.

Sean Mullin

Agent
hmmmm ok gives me something to think about. I did listen to this combination at the shop and was pretty thrilled and impressed.

I am pretty sold on the monitor 7's though. Paradigm's site has a "recommended system" that is called "System Seven" which has the monitor 7's along with your suggested cc-370 center so maybe that is how I will go.

as for surrounds... the "System Seven" includes the ADP-370's (I have not listened to the 370's or the 170's, but I did listen to and like the Cinema ADP's) ... you think the mini monitors would be better than either of the Dipole suggestions?? Why is that?
also ALANZ .. you suggested the SVS PB-10 sub instead of the PDR-12.. WHY?? can I get it for $360 or less?? Is it a tighter better sounding base??
Also on the sub situation.. maybe would TWO 12" dayton subs for under 300 would be a better deal than the one PDR-12 ??

one last thing.. where can I find a Retail price list of individual Paradigm products, other than their "system" prices?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Sean: The SVS will kick the living crap out of the PDR sub, laugh at it, and then kick it again. It's not even a close comparison. The SVS is $429, I belive, but the extra few bucks is worth it....trust me. I'd say the dual Dayton route is also superior to the PDR. I've never heard it, but people on here seem to swear by it for the money. I'm sure two of them would outperform the PDR. JUST SAY 'NO' TO THE PDR!@!!! lol

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Sorry I have not responded for awhile.......very busy...anyway, if it is not too late...

I suggested not going the ADP route not because they are not good surrounds but because they are very pricey and money saved can be put into the 3 fronts which really are the most important speakers IMHO. To be honest with you I would really even go a step down from the Minis and go for either the Atoms or Titans. Yes they are in a different line but if this will be for mostly movie watching you will be very hard pressed to hear any sonic difference. Only ambient sounds for the most part is sent to surrounds so I always save as much money as I can with them. Later on you can upgrade them. If you plan on listening to a lot of multi-channel audio than the Mini route would be the way to go.
If you do go the Titan or Atom route than with that money saved I would get the CC370 and a nice SVS or Hsu.
In thinking about it again I would also stick with the 7's for your fronts....I have heard them a bunch of times and came away very impressed each time....plus...no stands!! Best of luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks