What's new

Ok, what am I doing wrong?! :( (1 Viewer)

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've been working on my h/t for a few hours now. I've got sound comming out of the speakers when playing a dvd, BUT THERE IS NO PICTURE! Here is what I did (this was expalined to me in another thread). I ran an rca from the "video in" on the tv to the "monitor out" on the receiver. I then ran an rca from the dvd player's "video out" to the receiver's "cd/dvd dvd in" jack. I also ran a digital optical cable from the dvd player to the receiver. So why am I not getting any picture or menu from the dvd player? The other jacks on the back of the dvd player are as follows: under the "audio out" there is a single subwoofer jack and a left and right jack. Then there is the "video out" jack that I have an rca running from to the receiver. There is also an "S video out". And finally, the "digital audio out" the I have the optical cable running from. What on earth do I need to do to get the picture on the tv? BTW, I didn't hook up the vcr (don't know if I'm going to either). And in case some didn't read my other thread, my tv only has a single audio and single video jack on the front of the tv. The only thing on the back of it is the cable jack. Someone please, please help me b/c I'm about ready to pull my hair out. But, I will say, with the sound that was comming out I was really impressed (listened, hehe, to some of The Matrix). Again, please help me out someone. Thanks.

Dan

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
How do I do that? Remember, I'm a h/t virgin.:eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Edit: I looked at my tv. There is nothing to switch it to video. Only the two jacks on the front and the cable jack on the back.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a hidden panel on the tv that opens up? Look for a button labeled 'input' or 'tv/video' or something like that. If not, do you have a remote for the tv? Look for similar buttons on the remote.

Get inventive, Dan. Since the tv has an input, it must have a way to select that input.

-David

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Why not just run your video cable from the dvd straight to the tv?

BTW... The cd/dvd in on your receiver is probably not the correct input for a video signal. On most receivers, that is simply a digital audio input.

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Donny D-I don't know. I just did it the way I was told. Edit: Just tried that too and it didn't work.
David-Couldn't find any hidden panels. But I'll look more carefully later (I'm really tired right now).
Also, what will I use to change the channel on the tv? The tv remote? I assume I would use that one since the cable is hooked directly to the tv. Am I right (for once;) )?
Dan

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Donny D-In your edit, what exactly do you mean?
ArmenK-How do I use S video or component video? Remember, my tv only has a single video and single audio jack and cable jack. Does that matter?
Man this stuff is confusing. Maybe I should just stick to car audio.:D
Dan

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Hi Dan... Yes I understand your confusion with all this but just one thing at a time will see you through.

On a Yam receiver I recently hooked up for a friend, the cd/dvd input on the receiver was for audio....

Personally, I run all my video signals direct to my tv and switch it through the tv menus.

Not knowing your receiver type, I can only suggest that you use only yellow coded input/outputs for the video side of any feed. On your TV, if you have a video in and cable in, then somewhere, you will have a switcher. My son's tv is switched between the two with a "status" button on the tv which simply opens a menu onscreen for choosing the input.

Man I hope this helps... I know it sounds confusing but we all went through it at sometime or other....

Just reread your post and noticed you tried a dvd connection straight to the tv... and it didn't work. That means you definitely have a switcher somewhere on the tv for choosing input.

Danny B

Grip
some TV's have a "AV" button on a remote that you might have to press to get a video picture OR if its a old unit,i think you might have to manually search for a video channel,just like you do when you search the frequency for finding tv programs.

Try letting the movie play on your video while searching the frequency and if you come to a image thats playing of your video select it and memorise the number for that frequency and then everytime you wanna play the video,youll have to select that same channel.

Hope you understand.

NOTE:there will be something on the front saying something like " search tuning" or such

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Donny meant that you should make sure that the receiver input labeled "cd/dvd in" on the receiver is really a composite video input and not a digital coax audio input. This is a good thing to check.

Composite video inputs are usually yellow.

Until you get a picture, you might bypass the receiver and run the dvd players composite video out directly to the tvs video in.

Does the dvd player output the video signals in parallel? Does it always send something to all the outputs, or do you have to configure something on it to make it send output to the composite video output? (My older dvd player has a 2-position slide switch on the back. In one position, it sends output to the component outputs. In the other position, it sends output to the s-video output. It won't drive both outputs at the same time.)

This would all be much easier to figure out if you had another portable tv with a known working composite video input, which you could use in place of your tv to make sure you have video from the dvd player. Or another device (perhaps a sega or other video game?) with a known working video output that you could use to attempt to get something working with that front input on your tv set. If necessary, you could buy a small portable tv w/ video input from you local meglo mart to help you figure this all out, then return it when you are done. You can probably dig up a video game system with a working composite video output from somebody to see if you can get the tv video input working independent from the rest of your system.

-David

David X

Stunt Coordinator
I just realized that I too have a tv with in my kitchen that has a front a/v input and no apparent way to select it. I even looked at the remote. No 'video' button there either.

"a/v in" appears on the tv below channel 2, so as suggested above, try changing the tv channels to see if "video" or "a/v in" or something like that is one of the choices. Do this while the dvd is on and playing something.

-David

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
Just another possibility, see if your dvd is set to output the video from the composite outs. In the back of most dvds there´s a switch that allows you to switch between component and composite. If the switch is in the component option, you wouldn´t get any pic from the composite out.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Dan, I haven't seen your other thread.

What exactly are your components? (Brand and model #)

TV?

Receiver?

DVD player?

My mom has a TV with front and rear inputs and a remote that lets you select either TV or video for input source.. no way to select front or back. Upon reading the fine manual, I discovered that video selects both front and back video inputs (at the same time).. and that if components are connected to both, the front input has priority.

Hank_P

Second Unit
My parents also have an "older" TV with composite video inputs. No way to select VIDEO, after reading the manual, it says to tune the TV to a specific channel... theirs happens to be 91. It's a good chance this is the same with yours.

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the problem has been solved by the last person I thought would be able to figure it out...my wife! She found out that it's the channel thing that you guys were talking about, so now it works. Thanks so much for everyone's input and help. You have no idea how much it has helped me by finding this site. Well, off to do some tuning and to watch a movie. Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you all know how the movie goes.

Dan

David X

Stunt Coordinator
glad it worked .. the funny thing is that I was typing these messages sitting next to the same type of tv the entire time :) kudos to Danny for figuring it out.
-David

Danny B

Grip
No problemo(thanks David X)...

I used to have an old TV that required tuning a video that way so i figured he might have the same type of tv...

These newer tv's are much more easier these days,LOL.

Enjoy your films DAN...

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I did some tuning and watched Ghosts of Mars. When the nuclear reactor blows up, it was shaking the windows in my living room that are about 20-25 feet away from the sub. It was fricking awesome. Now I'm hooked and I'm gonna have to spend a lot more time here to learn as much as I can about this stuff. That'll sure make my wife happy, seeing as how I spend half my time now on car audio forums.;) Later.
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks