ok wayne first readings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gene avallon, Jan 31, 2002.

1. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

hz db

15 72.5

17 76.5

20 70.5

22 65.5

25 61

28 61

32 61

36 58.5

40 64.5

45 66

50 71.5

56 69.5

63 67.5

71 61.5

80 59.5

90 63

101 63

113 64.5

127 53.5

these look good?

gene

2. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

Those readings seem low. Do you have one or two? Also what model do you have?

Edit - I read your other post. Are you running your sub at 75db? So you are saying that it is only -3 degragation all the way down to 17 hz? I guess we need to wait until one of the experts posts. I am not sure just at first glance seemed low.

3. gene avallon

ANYBODY CAN MAKE SUGGESTIONS ALL HELP WELCOME.
    GENE[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gene avallon

brian

I kept them low because I ran them to high before they say its best to keep them low. 2 46 plus 1000 watt amp.art 351.I just watched star wars race sceane 110 db at the sweet spot just coasting.

sub 80db all the rest 75db

gene

5. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I thought it was something like that Gene. Did you have SVS subs before? If you did, how do these compare?

6. gene avallon

no a couple of 10 inch jbl. this is something,I see im gona have a lot of fun. it was about 110db with out straining. the last set of numbers with the jbl were all over the place. now I need some corrections for the art,wayne is real good at that.
    gene[​IMG]

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Gene,

Happy to see you finally got your subs!

Brian is right, you made the readings too low this time. They are so low that ambient room noise from air conditioners, passing traffic etc. could affect readings. I mean, I can lock myself in the closet and get readings of 58dB -- with dead silence!

Que up your 50Hz signal and increase volume to 95dB. Then take all-new readings and post them here.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Wayne is this the best way to test any sub and there low frequency output, I can tune my signal to 95 db at 50 hz, at least I expect that I can with my JBL sub, and then measure all of the other frequencys without adjusting the volume.

9. gene avallon

greg
    thats the way they have me doing it,only this time I was to low.going to 50Hz setting it at 95db and starting over cant be any easer.justr posted the new numbers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Greg,

I just pulled that out because the highest SPL level he posted was at this frequency. I didn’t want to tell him to adjust it up based on the lowest reading. That might overdrive the sub!

That said, between 40-60 Hz is probably a good reference point to set your upper volume Most subs seem to peak in that range.

However, if the lower reading are below 80Hz, it is best to ratchet up the volume a little.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. gene avallon

wayne

you said post them here,I thougt here was the sub section.the more I thought, here is here.sorry.

gene:b :b just look down a little you will fid me

12. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Wayne

Thanks for the help! If I have the 25hz frequency test running and I start cranking up the sub, when do I stop, when I hear some distortion or clipping. I just want to know what my sub is capable of but I don't want to damage anything doing it.