ok to use y-connector for audio in on a tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Tomaskovic, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

My Mom's old RCA tv has separate composite and s-video in jacks, but only 1 set of L-R audio inputs. She just has her dvd and vcr play through the tv speakers; the vcr is currently using ch 3 to play so there is no problem with sound. I want to keep things simple for her and hook the vcr up with video in. Is it ok to get a couple y-connectors and hook the vcr and dvd audio outs to the same input on the tv with the y's? Of course, only one item would be ever playing at a time. What would happen though, if both the dvd and vcr were on at the same time? Would the sound just be garbled or could any damamge occur?

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Why not get a simple audio or audio/video switch from Radio Shack. That way you don't need the "Y" cables and you can just label the buttons "DVD" or "VCR".

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Yeah, I have one of those lying around too. I just figure the fewer buttons to push the better for Mom and with the y's everything is tied to her just turning on with the remote. She's a little intimidated by all the technology at 80! But she likes her dvd player since she doesn't have to rewind, however I still tape movies from cable for her.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Connecting two audio devices to one audio input using a simple Y connector will likely degrade the sound even if one device is turned off while you are using the other. How much I cannot tell.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm