OK to use external DVD Drive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy TeBockhors, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Andy TeBockhors

Andy TeBockhors Auditioning

I've got an extra PC sitting around that I'd like to make into an HTPC, but it's in a good ol' fashioned beige tower box (doesn't fit into my equipment rack very well!)

Rather than buy a new case and try tearing the machine apart, couldn't I just put the whole thing in another room and run a firewire cable into my equipment rack, then use an external DVD drive in my rack?

It seems to me I'd have less noise, heat, clutter etc. and still have all the benefits of HTPC. Anyone see a downside here?

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Andy:

Running a FireWire cable from room to room would likely be prohibitively expensive. You'd probably be better off making your own HTPC from a Shuttle case or possibly buying a low-form-file HTPC from Alienware

3. Andy TeBockhors

Andy TeBockhors Auditioning

Thanks for the response... actually, the back of my equipment rack IS in another room, so basically I'd be able to set the PC on the floor next to the back of my rack. Sorry I might have been unclear there. I guess my main question is, is there any downside to using an external drive as your primary DVD drive?

Also, any recommendations either for specific models of external drives, or at least minimum specs that I should look for.

Thanks again!

AT

4. Bobby McGee

Bobby McGee Extra

Andy, I currently have my HTPC setup exactly that way. I use the ADS pyro firewire enclosure w/ a Toshiba 1612 DVD-ROM connected via an 8' cable to a firewire PCI card. Works flawlessly.

5. Chris Rosene

Chris Rosene Second Unit

I also have this setup and it works GREAT![​IMG]

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I got a 4 pin-to-4 pin 15 foot 1394 (firewire) cable for $40 Canadian. Works great with my firewire laptop for high-speed surfing and file sharing! That's roughly $25 US, so I don't think running a longer firewire cable would be too expensive, although transmission speed would likely suffer, although there should be plenty of bandwidth leftover for DVD video playback.

Most enclosures only have 6 pin firewire plugs, so finding a long 6 pin cable may be harder.

At home I have a Sony DRU500A DVD+R/DVD-R/kitchen-sink burner inside a Welland firewire/USB2.0 enclosure. Only had one crash when I turned it on while printing (oops).