OK to put speakers next to RPTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnMM, Feb 7, 2004.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I have floor-standing speakers on each side of my Hitachi RPTV, about 2" from the sides of the TV. The speakers are shielded, and I can see no distortion on the screen from them being placed that close.

But I am worried - am I doing some damage to the TV, even though I see no distortion?

Thanks for any help.

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

No damage if shielded. The Magnets alter the paths of the electrons in the CRTs. If you can't see distortion you're OK.

I have a Sony 53" RPTV that had two BIG speakers right next to it for 4 years. Still looks great!

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you don't see distortion you are ok. You would have to have some pretty severe distortion to actually cause serious damage by running the picture off the tube face and blowing up the tubes. You should check to make sure with a grid that your geometry and convergence is not being affected, as you will be able to see small interference here better.

Keep in mind that the tubes being affected are in the bottom front middle of the set usually, so speakers off to the side are already a ways away.