What's new

OK to put DVD player on receiver? (1 Viewer)

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian
I recently picked up an Onkyo HTIB, and then a Sony NS77 DVD player. I had hoped to put the Sony beside the Onkyo, but it does not fit. So it had to go on top of the Onkyo.

Since the Onkyo gets pretty hot, is this an OK solution? I am guessing its better to have the Sony on top than beneath the Onkyo? Is it Ok for the Onkyo to get hot? this is my first HT set up, and whilst I realize amplifiers get hot, I just want to be sure that it will get fairly hot to the touch.

All I need now is to hunt for a nice new TV and I am all set! Very pleased so far with the Onkyo / Sony set up. Using optical cables for the audio, and component for the video :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't put anything on the receiver. The cabinet of the DVD player may or may not be sturdy enough to support the receiver though.

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian

Ok, just took a look and even if I wanted to I can't put the DVD player on the bottom, its about 3" narrower (front to back) than the receiver. I had hoped to put the DVD player on top of the DVR, but the DVD player is longer than the DVR (by about 2") so it does not sit straight.

The only other option I think is to put the DVR on top of the DVD player. But again the DVR is about 2" deeper than the DVD player. The only thing I can think to do would be to try and use something at the back of the DVD player to support the addional area of the DVR that hangs off the back, but then I run into problems with the DVD cables.

It might have to temporarily stay on top of the receiver... there is no other room where the equipment is currently located for any other arrangement.

Brian D H

Second Unit
Be careful.

Receivers get HOT and heat rises. I had my DVD player on a shelf above my receiver and it would still occasionally start skipping from the heat build-up. The receiver itself would shut-off if I left it on for too long.

Now they are spaced out even more (and I don't leave the receiver on if I'm not using it) and I've been OK.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is so much crammed into receivers these days, and they are pumping so much power, you really should have at least 4-5" of open space above them. Maybe you can find (or build) some self contained shelf which will support the DVD player above the DVR or the other way around.

Danklin26

Agent
Real Name
Noel

How do you mean longer? Is longer and deeper the same? Like others said, its not really good to stack components like that, but if its something thats used infrequently like the dvd player(unless you watch movies for hours on end) then you could put something on top of the dvd player assuming it could support the dvr.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
All I can say is, if you put your dvd player on top of your receiver, you might as well plan on replacing the dvd player in the near future. As it was pointed out previously, the receiver puts out a lot of heat, so placing a dvd player on top of it will not only do damage to the dvd player, it might also increase your chances of harming the receiver as well. I agree with Mr. Rice, find a different unit to house your equipment. Everything will fit and you won't be replacing your dvd player & or receiver.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Usually, it's a good idea to have your receiver on it's own shelf.. Good to let it have some air around it... I have a Pioneer Elite Reciever, and to believe it or not, it doesn't get very hot.. Warm at best.. Now the few Denon's I have had got hot...

Echo42987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
The onkyo breathes through the top of the unit as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it has the cut out holes on top so hot air can leak out. If you put your DVD player on top of those then your DVD player will be absorbing all the heat. I wouldn't recomend it but I doubt it'll do much damage to either unit...or purchase a cooling fan.

-Nick-

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks