Ok to plug Bias Light into Dedicated HT Circuit?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom Kay, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi All !

I just got some great help about eye-strain lighting, specifically the flourescent tube that goes behind the TV. The website was very informative, and judging by reaction from users, it works well. This is a terrific forum for asking questions and getting much needed answers. So, I'll ask another related one.

I am wiring a fully dedicated 20 amp circuit, just to power the TV, AVR, Sub, DVD player, basically so I can keep all the audio/video components on one circuit. It would be very convenient to plug the flourescent tube into the same circuit, since it's going behind the TV, but is this wrong to do? Does this type of lighting in any way interfere with the audio components on that 20 amp line, or create any other concerns? I want to do this right, and I am at the wiring stage right now. I am willing to run another outlet behind the TV, from another circuit IF this is advised. So, can you advise me?

Thanks as always, Tom.

2. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

Tom, you may get some noise from a fluorescent ballast. You don't even have to be plugged into the same circuit. Close proximity to your equipment could be enough.If you really want a fluorescent light, try one with an electronic ballast. That might not generate any noise.

3. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

Just in case I'd run a separate outlet since you can easily do it now, you may also need it for other things later, but if you are refering to the 'ideal lume' it doen't make any humming noises at all, I had to use a separate non-dedicated outlet because the x10 device controlling the Bias lamp didn't work on my dedicate lines.