What's new

OK to mount bookshelves on their side? (1 Viewer)

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I am moving my current surround speakers, Infinity IL10, to the rear for 7.1 use. I will be using Omnimount ceiling mounts to suspend them from the ceiling. Is it ok to mount these horizontally rather than vertically. It would really help with the appearance and clearance under the speakers. I have read where horizontal placement would destroy the intended imaging and such, but would this make a difference for the surround back speakers?

Thanks for your help. Wish me luck this weekend as I attempt to run these wires up in the attic. I just hope I don't fall through the ceiling!

Michael Moon

Marc H

Second Unit
It will change the dispersion characteristics for sure but it's not the end of the world. Especially for effect channels.
Try it and see what you think. Rule of thumb is to place them so the tweeters are to the inside.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Michael,

If you look at my system "My HT Pics", you will see that I had my rear Paradigm Monitor 3's in a horizontal configuration.

Let me tell you, last year, I hosted a HTF Local Meet at my house, and during DVD movies, people looked toward the back of my room to see if I had a 6.1 set-up, the rear imaging was that good.

I had the speakers positioned where they were toed in from the side walls just a little, and the tweeters were toward the back of the room, or inside...towards the middle of the room.

Do some experimentation before final positioning, and I think you'll be just fine.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Generally it should be fine, but ultimately it depends on the speaker. For instance, THX certified speakers are designed to limit vertical dispersion, to limit reflections off of the ceiling. Obviously, a speaker like that would not be suitable for horizontal use.

I expect that a speaker that has the tweeter positioned between two woofers would also not be a good choice for horizontal placement, since they have drastically different dispersion qualities that a tweeter-over-woofer design.

But basically, as long as the speakers are tweet-over-woof, and as long as the tweeter isn’t enshrouded in some kind of horn or material to specifically control its upright dispersion characteristics, you should be fine. My center channel is a flopped-over bookshelf, and I’ve never had a problem with the way it sounds.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Michael,

Are you in a one story or is this a second story "game" room? And do you need to borrow anything(wire fish, Dremel)? I helped a friend in the neighborhood run his wire last month. It takes alot longer then we thought. I've got both kids torrow morning while my wife gives a shower but might be able to help. Do you still have my number?

Your neighbor in Fieldstone,

Chris Quinn

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks