What's new

Ok to let the Adire AVA250 handle the crossover? (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone!
As some of you might know, I will be shortly building my first sub using a Shiva and an Adire AVA250 plate amp.

A little useful background: For the first little while, I might have to be running this amp off an amp that does not have a sub pre out, it does however have a few full range preouts that I am not using right now.

The quesion: Would it be OK to use the crossover that is built into the sub to let it take care of those nasty high frequencies?

Also, while im sort of on topic. I'm hearing a lot about people routing their LFE channel to the mains or the sub, and the benefits / disadvantages of doing it. Could someone please explain exacly what that does, and how would one go about doing it?

Thanks a lot, again. This place rules!

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Doing what you propose will work, but the results will not be the the way you want for 5.1

The .1 is a specific LFE channel that gets sent LFE info. That wouldn't occur in your proposed set-up. The sub would still handle the low frequencies it gets sent, but it won't be sent the info encoded in the LFE channel.

However, since your amp has no sub out it means it is prolly not a Dolby Digital/DTS capable receiver anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't speak specifically about the AVA250 amps crossover abilities.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
That's fine, as long as the crossover in the amp does what its suppose to do and cut off the high fequencies. The sub will be used mostly for music anyway.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The low pass in the AVA250 will work fine. But the high pass, like most plate amps, isn't up to much.

The HS series of amps from Adire is a different story though.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
__________________________________________________ __________
Doing what you propose will work, but the results will not be the the way you want for 5.1

The .1 is a specific LFE channel that gets sent LFE info. That wouldn't occur in your proposed set-up. The sub would still handle the low frequencies it gets sent, but it won't be sent the info encoded in the LFE channel.
__________________________________________________ __________

THe above comment is sort of misleading. If you set your mains to Large and sub off on the receiver, the LFE will be sent to the mains. Use the speaker level inputs to send the signal to the sub's amp. The sub should still receive the LFE, just make sure you set the crossover on the sub's amp to where your mians start rolling off or where it blends best with the mains.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
But he is talking about using full range pre-outs (like a tape out, I assume), not the speaker level output. Plus, that would then rely on using the high pass filter of the sub amp to send the signal on to the speakers, which as Dustin points out is prolly not ideal.

Further, the fact that his amp has no sub-out prolly means it is not 5.1 anyway, so the point is moot.

Thanks

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks