OK, they said there were no dumb questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Glass, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Glenn Glass

Glenn Glass Auditioning

Just hooked up my "home theater". My HD cable box, progressive scan DVD player, and Outlaw reciever are all sitting on the floor.

Can I safely put any of them on top of the TV (Toshiba 57H82) without causing problems for the set? Please advise.

If I get a table, can I stack any of them on top of each other, or do I need to get shelves.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Neither solution is ideal.

Remember that heat is the number one enemy of all electronics, so that rules out stacking the components directly on top of each other.

As for the top of your RPTV, I'm not crazy about locating so many devices that generate electromagnetic fields so near to a device that's sensitive to those sorts of things.

Your best bet is to purchase an equipment rack of some sort, a piece of furniture designed for this sort of thing.

3. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Ultimately, you will want a component rack with shelves. I have the matching cabinet for my 65" Mitsubishi, and I love it. I'm sure you can find a stylish rack within your price range.......search for flexy rack on this forum, and check out what others have built; They're quite impressive. Don't stack the components, as they need to dissipate the heat, and stacking won't allow dispersion. Also, I'd avoid putting any components on the television (especially a heavy receiver), but that's just my opinion. I've seen it done before, but I'd hate for anything to happen to the television (magnetic interference, bowing tv cabinet, etc). Just my $.02

4. Glenn Glass

Glenn Glass Auditioning

OK, thanks, but PLEASE don't tell me that I can't put my (supposedly) shielded marble NORH center channel on the set. I wouldn't have a clue where else to put it in my room. The ceiling starts to slope up right at the top of the TV. There is no way to mount it above the TV.

How big a risk am I running having the shielded marble NORH center channel on top of the set?

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Center-channel speakers are shielded and are designed to be placed on top of a display device. Just make sure it's light enough so as not to cause any bowing of the RPTV's cabinet.

6. Glenn Glass

Glenn Glass Auditioning

It's not, of course. It weighs about 30 lbs.... [​IMG]

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you read the manuals that came with your equipment, they will tell you how much space above each device is needed for ventilation. (Yes, this is often burried). This means it is very bad to simply stack the equipment.

Look in the DIY fourm for the word "Flexy". You will find plans for making your own rack with 7-9 shelves for under $100.

As far as the center speaker goes, most of us DO put the center on top of the TV. But you should ...

- Make "Feet" to get the center up off the cabinent. Use rubber door wedges, pink-rubber erasers, paperback books, etc. (I even have a $7 wheelbarrow innertube under my 40 lb center). These will decouple the speaker from the TV and help spread the load out a bit.

- Pull the face of the speaker 1/4 inch over the face of the TV. Putting it parallel can cause acoustic-coupling, and pushing it back will cause reflections to bounce upward.

Hope this helps.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

your outlaw will generate the most heat, so make sure that goes on the top of the stack. i *never* put anything above my receiver.

9. Glenn Glass

Glenn Glass Auditioning

Just wanted to acknowledge the advice. I have taken/will take all suggestions. Fortunatlely, the NORH comes with feet, so that is already good.
    Thanks again.
    Until next time,
    [​IMG]

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

12. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

FWIW, the FleXy is probably a little more expensive than that. I used zinc rods and washers, smaller than the suggested size, and only five shelves, and ended up spending something like $130 (not counting the tools I bought just for that job, which is really just a bonus [​IMG] ). The FleXy page calls for steel, but Home Depot didn't have it...
    Even so, I was _very_ satisfied with the result-- I truly love the ability to customize it on a whim.
    Meh