What's new

Ok , there MUST be a solution out there for this. (1 Viewer)

Tim_J_M

Agent
I want to rebuild my current HT setup to include some GOOD 2 channel sound.
Im confused on how this works but here is what I "think" are my options.

Get a 2 channel pre-amp that has a HT output and hook that into a processor or into my current receiver.

or

Use the front main pre-amp out on my receiver and feed it into an integrated amp?

Now Im not sure either of those options would work and Im even less sure if it does work how I would hook it up.

Here is a list of what I have and if you can suggest what I would need to buy and how to hook it up, that would be great.

Current HT system.

Harman Kardon AVR-320 receiver used as pre/pro , does not have a 2 channel stereo bypass but does have preouts.

Amp #1 ATI 1502 2 channel for mains
Amp #2 ATI 1505 5 channel for everything else

Source #1 Philips CDP
Source #2 Philips DVDP
Source #3 Rega Planar 2 (arriving Friday)

Im just not happy with 2 the 2 channel sound I get and I want to somehow incorporate a decent 2 channel system into this using my current speakers (and amps if possible) less money spent is better. Another option Ive considered is getting a Maranatz 7200 and dropping the HK AVR-320 since the Marantz has a 2 channel bypass and is supposed to be very musical sounding.

BrentCrick

Grip
I recently switched to a setup similar to your second option (Denon 1802 receiver & NAD C 370 integrated amp). I feed the integrated with my cdp & the front left & right pre-outs of my receiver. It's a little clunky for movies--2 volume controls to mess with--but it still improves on the receiver for HT & is much better for stereo music.

Tim_J_M

Agent
Ok so basically you switch to whatever input you hooked the receiver into (for arguments sake lets say the DVD input) for when you wanna watch movies on the HT and for music listening you use yoru CDP and switch over to the CD inputs? That makes sense. Is there also a 3rd input on the NAD 370 for a phono preamp?

If so that may be the way to go or another integrated amp with atleast 3 source inputs.

I like that option, but ofcourse it requires me selling my power amp and buying an integrated.

Is there a way for me to keep my power amp by buying another seperate 2 channel preamp with a HT pass-through that goes into one of the inputs in the receiver? You still have to deal with the receiver affecting the signal BUT on the HK you can go into the 6 channel direct input and the stream is not affected by the receiver.

Tim_J_M

Agent
Ok the solution is simple it seems.

Get a nie integrated amp and hook my CDP and TT to it for 2 channel. The kick is that the integrated MUST have an HT bypass. Then I hook the preouts for the front 2 speakers from the receiver to the HT bypass inputs on the preamp. There will be 2 seperate volume controls, but if I leave the one on the preamp in the same spot whenever I listen to HT (watch movies) then I wont need to calibrate every time.

Ok now the fun. Someone suggest an integrated amp with an HT bypass thats affordable.

Tim

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
Since you've got a good 2 channel amp to begin with, I'd recommend you get a 2 channel preamp, preferably one with "HT bypass" or a "unity gain" function. This has been discussed many times in the past, so a search of these terms should find a number of preamps that should suit your needs.
Even if you can't find a preamp with these features, you can connect the preamp outs of the HK to an input in the 2 channel pre. Using an spl meter and test tones, you can adjust the volume of the front channels using the preamps volume control until you reach a baseline db measurement that matches all other channel levels (ie. 75/85 db depending on which test tones you use). Mark this exact volume position, and turn it to this position every time you use your HK (for surround decoding etc) to get all channels level matched. Use your 2 channel preamp for listening to music. Its as easy as that. :)
Cheers,
Mike

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
If the 2 channel preamp has a an HT bypass or whatever they want to call it then the volume control of that preamp does not actually come into play. That input "bypasses" the volume control of the preamp. From your receiver you would be using the front L&R preouts to feed into the 2 channel preamp.

The NAD does not have a bypass, thus he has to do the two volume control balance thingy.

What is you budget for doing this? And you didn't mention your speakers.

Tim_J_M

Agent
Budget is as far under $1000 as I can get and closer to $600 would be better. The idea here is to avoid using the HK receiver as any part of the equation when I want to listen to 2 channel music.

If go the integrated route I can hook my CDP and TT directly to the integrated amp and avoid the receiver for 2 channel listening.

I could also as was stated get just a preamp that has an HT bypass and then come out of the preamp into my amp.

Whichever is the cheaper/better solution.

Tim_J_M

Agent
Seems like the Sony ES TA-P9000ES is the ticket. Has 2 channel and 5.1 channel passive (true) bypass. has has dual 5.1 inputs so I can hook up say an SACD or DVDA player or just a normal CD player. I can also hook up a cd player with volume control directly to one of the passive inputs (the one I dont hook my receiver to) and have a true CD to amp sound.

Thanks for suggesting I search for my answer, I think Ive found the solution.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks