OK, then how about Infinity vs. Polk Audio then?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Russ, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I was the one who started the thread about B&W vs. Klipsch for movies and rock music. Since someone else has a thread going for Infinity vs. Bose (as if that's even a comparision at all in the first place). How about Polk vs. Infinity, both for movies and music? Specifically Polk's RTi series against Infinity's Interlude and/or Entra series? That's a fairer comparision to Infinity than Bose. When I was auditioning speakers at Circuit City, those are the two brands that went head to head against each other with an Onkyo or a Harman Kardin (sp?) receiver driving them. I personally liked the Polks a little better, although I thought the Infinity's weren't too bad either. BTW, I was listening to the older Polk line of RTi's (the one with the same trilaminate dome tweeter in the entire line as the RT25i that got such a great review in Stereophile magazine), not the newer just released line that they just came out with. Other opinions?

2. David_Larkins

I have RT2000i's and I love them... I think that they beat the Infinity speakers hands down. Many people prefer not to use a powered tower, but I keep the gain set relatively low so that matches my usual listening volume, and use an additional sub for LFE. My 2000's sound warm and tight, and the soundstage is excellent.

I think that Polk has gotten a bit of a bad rap since they started selling in Circuit City, but they still make great speakers. I think that they are starting to get back to their audiophile roots with the introduction of the new LSi line.

my $.02,
    David

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

A wise man once said, "Always go listen for yourself."

Warning: These are my personal experiences.
    I believe the Infinities are the best CC has to offer. The Polk is of equal quality, but a different sound altogether. It is more forward and the midrange is more pronounced which sounds odd to me w/ male vocals. The cabinet seems braced better and built more solid. It extends lower in bass. The individual sounds are not as distinct. The Infinities sound more distant (seem a tad less efficient), but they have a more emphasized high-end and the sounds are more distinct. Male vocals sound better. When comparing both of these speakers, I used an Onkyo Stereo Receiver and an HK 320. Another note is that once you move up past the quality of an HK receiver, you probably are in flagship/separates country. That is another area I'd eventually look to for improvement. Say I had a Denon 3802 and I wanted to improve the sound I was getting. I'd simply look to ubid and pick up an amp like say Parasound, Rotel or Adcom.

Now here's some more info on the two speakers. When you turn up the volume the Polk's tend to shine and it seems like the frequency response evens out across the whole soundstage. The highs are no longer lost. This makes it ideal for rock and general loud music/home theater.
    The Infinites sound better at lower volumes. When they get turned up they tend to squeal and sound a bit anemic "sometimes." They tend to sound better w/ classical and softer rock. The Polks seem more transparent w/ HT where the Infinities catch your attention like say a Klipsch speaker during HT.
    Of course these speaker power handling issues could be a result of your amp.
    Unfortunately, this is a very very competitive speaker price bracket.
    Anyone else care to weigh in?