OK, the AV1's are done!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunge, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

So now everyone can get off my back (Jeff)! I finished them up late last night so I really didn't get much listening time. It was 9pm so I just threw in my Sarah McLachlan CD and listened for a few minutes to a few tracks.

I noticed that vocals are truly sweet, even without any break-in. I'd say they're at least on par with my Emeralds at this point. I'm assuming they'll get even better over time. I'll try to get in some more listening over the next few days and this weekend.

In a few weeks I'll try to do a real head to head with the Emeralds.

Brian

P.S. Now if my K2 will get here this week I can play with it, too!

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Brian, break 'em in and give us some impressions in a few weeks. I bet thay sound as good as your cabinets look!

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Finally! Took you long enough[​IMG]
    Just kidding... Glad they are finally done Brian, they look great BTW. I know you will love them. I esecially like to listen to female vocals with these speakers, sounds like the performer is right there with you. The clarity and imaging is what I really noticed when I first fired mine up.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    The real test for me will be their midbass dynamics compared to my Emeralds. This is the one area where I feel the Emeralds are lacking. But hell, I've got a huge room so that's to be expected!
    Anyway, Danny and I may be doing a bit of "horse trading" so a pair of AV1+'s may be close behind! [​IMG]
    Brian

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I would have gotten the AV1+'s if I had the money. Danny say's these are his best and he likes them more than any other kit he sells. He highly recommends them.

Except they are 4 ohms so just make sure you have sufficient amps.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

7. Hank Frankenberg

Let's hear it for Sherwood Newcastle! I bought their CD player a year ago and it's great.

8. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

Brian which model of the Newcastle do you have?

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tom,
    It's the older R-945MKII. It's the first receiver Newcastle produced with the silver face. It's predecessor, the R-945 was THE first receiver on the market to offer, DPL, DD, and DTS in one unit. I feel I'd have to go separates to get any real sonic upgrades. Since my seating position is on a sofa against the rear wall a 7.1 setup isn't really feasible for me. So an upgraded receiver really isn't worth it to me. Although, I'd have to admit the new R-963 does look to be a helluva unit and is capable of doing HDTV switching! That would make system operation a lot easier for the wife![​IMG]
    Brian

10. Hank Frankenberg

"That would make system operation a lot easier for the wife."

Well, Brian, my man, it appears that you have the HT upgrade required rationalization there. Just do it.

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dammit, Hank! You know I just spent $900 on an amp! I have to sell some damn speakers before I make any other large purchases.

Brian

12. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

OK I can't take it anymore!!!! Where's the web site for these AV-1's. I'm curious to say the least. How do they compare to the Adire Kit 281's? I'm sure someone has asked this question before but I wasn't invited to that party.

Thanks

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,
    The AV1's are two way bookshelf speakers utilizing a single 5.25" woofer and 1" silk dome tweeter so I think the true comparison would be between the 281's and the AV3's. Go to www.gr-research.com to see them.
    Also, for pics of the cabinets that I built go here. I'll have completed pics up in a few days.
    Also, here's some of my impressions after listening to them for about an hour last night and comparing the sound to my ACI Emeralds.
    Highs seem very smooth and the mids seem a bit more pronounced or forward. I really like this as it gives me more of an impression of the band being "in room". There also seems to be a little more depth to the soundstage.
    Of course, this is just a first impression; not a side by side comparison where I listen to the same track on one pair of speakers and then switch to the other pair using the same track and volume level. But I have lived with the Emeralds for a year now and am using software that I'm very familiar with.
    I'll give the AV1's a good week or so to break-in fully (Danny suggested around 40 hours) and then do my side by side.
    Brian

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

OK, everyone! Here are the pics of the finished AV1's! Note that the tweeter recess is a bit deep but I think I can use some extra closed cell foam weather stripping to get in flush instead of recessed.
    I'll have them up on the site hopefully later this week, but until then you can see them here.
    http://discussion.iland.com/upload/AV1_finish_1.JPG
    http://discussion.iland.com/upload/AV1_finish_2.JPG
    http://discussion.iland.com/upload/AV1_finish_back.JPG
    http://discussion.iland.com/upload/av1_top_side.jpg
    http://discussion.iland.com/upload/av1_finish_top1.jpg
    Brian

15. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

i think the word "sexy" best describes them, Brian. woot! (Are they broken in yet???)

16. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Brian!! They are absolutely wonderful!! As we have been in contact recently, I have located a a car audio dealer who said he would paint my cabinets the same silver as the one on the GR web site. I haven't actually made my decision if I'm going to switch speakers but I really do love yours!!

Thanks for all your help and once again job well done!!

17. Hank Frankenberg

Brian, beautiful work, man! The edge detail is great - new router bits? Yes, another gasket to flush up the tweets and you're in business!

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Peter,

Thanks, they are getting broken in! I guess around 20 hours or so on them. Danny said to give them 40 hours or so.

Martice,

Make sure the car audio dealer gives you a firm price. Danny said he paid $350 to have the AV1+'s painted.

Hank,

Yes, I used a new bit to trim the veneer edges and a new rabbetting bit to do the tweeter rebate! Next time around I'll trim the edges with my new laminate trimmer instead of that damn bulky router!

Brian

19. Michael Do

Michael Do Agent

Brian,

Those looks like SPCA/MB1. Is it the same speakers?

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Michael,

The MB1's and the AV1's use identical drivers but I believe Dennis Murphy has changed the crossover.

Brian