Ok Tempest and Sonosub experts, Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Ok guys heres the deal,..
    24" diameter tube, 72" long, end caps 1.5" endcaps inside
    1 Tempest on each end, and 1 6" X 20.5" port on each end
    What would be the difference in output, and overall personality, between feeding it, say,..100 watts a sub, and 450 watts a sub?
    The room is 15 x 20. I realize this is a BIG enclosure, maybe too big. Keep in mind, I am use to car audio. I dfon't want this to be tuned so low, its less exciting because its less audible. Looking for lots of punch, as well as room filling volume.
    Thanks guys,..>>>--->

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

350 watts? [​IMG]
    100 watts will get you 112 dB and 450 will get you 118 dB. And the Tempests aren't even struggling.
    Pete

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Kevin,

I recently built that exact size sub, 480L and am powering it with the HS500 amp, 250wpc. Did some max SPL testing with meter 1' away from sub:

16 - 110
    20 - 117
    31.5 - 127
    45 - 125

This is in a 16x22 room and 8 full size Klipsch speakers. You will LOVE this sub....BUILD IT NOW!!! You will not believe the amount of output this thing is capable of, I could NOT be happier. Go for it...Mike

4. Kevin Beck

Mike,..
    I live a couple hours from you. Remember I told you I think I could hear your system when I was up in the area?
    I have thought about seeing when you could do a demo. Jusy as a look see comparison thing. I'm having some amp issues right now, and can't power this thing the way it should be. Have you tried a lesser amount of input, and if so, how did it sound?
    Thanks,...>>>--->

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Kevin,
    Be glad to give you a demo. Just give me a day/time that works for you and we can set it up.
    When I first got it going I didn't realize I only had the amp gain at 1/3 volume. The sub sounded good, just not real loud and didn't make a big impact. I was happy but not overwhelmed by it. Next day I realized what was wrong and cranked it up and talk about a HUGE difference. Now I always run the amp at full volume and use the Sub level in the receiver to control the volume.
    How much power are you feeding it? My 250wpc seems to be more than enough. 125db is friggin' loud.....and just the way I like it [​IMG]

6. Kevin Beck

Mike,..
    I may take you up on the offer. I really want to demo somebody elses Sono. I don't know of anybody in my area that is into this in the same maner. I know of a couple guys that have nice systems, but are all store bought items.
    As for the power, I am having a problem with an amp. I tried to get my hands on a loaner today, but no luck. I ran the thing with a little JBL amp out of the PB12 I have. Not sure what the speaker that came in it was rated, but its supose to be a 250 watt sub. If it was a 4 ohm sub,...my Sono is wired to be 8 ohms at the jack. The JBL wouldn't have pushed much. It was definately trying, but the output just wasn't there. I'm really confused.
    >>>--->

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

My advice if you want an amp now is to check at your local pawn shops for a PA amp (test it and make certain the fan noise won't be a problem) as the most common ones I see are Peveay for about 200-300 with 300+ wpc in the 4 ohm load.