Ok tell the truth, weren't most of you impressed when you 1st heard a Bose AM system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keir H, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

I can honestly say I was. When I first heard a demo of a I think a Bose AM 10 setup years ago, I was like "no way good sound like that could come outta those small speakers!" [​IMG] I thought vocals were great and the bass, man o man! Afterall, I had only heard "lo-fi" stuff at the time, rack systems like RCA, Sony, Philco, Soundesign ect...(go ahead and chuckle). But, my have times have changed. I am very schooled now and know what to "listen" for when evaluating speakers to my own level of moderate expertise. I know I'm not the only one who's amazed when you go into one of the leading chains stores and see people flocking to the displays, eyes wide opened, turning up the gain on the bass module. I know to each his own but I think other brands should do a little bit more to get there comparable (size wise) satellite/sub sets in those stores, ex: Energy Take 5..
    Don't ya just get the feeling of wanting to go over there and tell them to go to Tweeter or something similar??
    Not Bose "bashing" but I just hate to see people cheated (i.e. my ex brother-in-law w/ his AM 15 system ~$2999)

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I understand that the saying is, "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose", but my initial experience with an Accustamas system was quite the opposite. The bass seemed adequate. There seemed to be some highs. But the mids were missing. This was in an appliance store with a crummy little sound room.

Of course, I got turned off to Bose back in the late '70s when I took a long lunch hour to hear the new 901 series IV and went back to work with a headache.

So always remember;

Buy

Other

Sound

Equipment

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Heck, I'm still impressed. Sound like that from a speaker that fit's in my pocket... tough to beat for the size. Kinda tough to fit Paradigm studio 40's in your pocket.[​IMG] But, I still wouldn't pay those prices.

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Jesus Christ! Is this the Bose Forum or what?! People, let it go and move on. Sad [​IMG]

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Absolutely! (Of course the only other speakers I heard at the time were computer speakers). And that impression lasted a whopping day or so until a friend of mine overheard me telling a co-worker about those "amasing little speakers". He than simply said "Let's go" and took me to the nearest GoodGuys store where he made me close my eyes and listen to a $150 pair of bookshelf KEFs vs Bose. He played a CD and asked me (with my eyes still closed) to point out the location of the speakers. I nailed them down right away (they were Bose). He then restarted the music and asked me to do it again. This time I couldn't (that was KEF). He said "it's just the beginning" -- and oh, boy, how true it proved to be [​IMG] Needless to say, those Bose cubes cost at least three times as much as those KEFs and he said those KEFs weren't even all that good [​IMG] Now -- seven years later -- I can probably point out the flaws in Bose without the need for side-by-side comparison, but being the clueless person that I was seven years ago I can only be thankful for a little education [​IMG]

6. Hugh Scrivener

Hugh Scrivener Stunt Coordinator

Hey coming from a re-formed Bosehead.....yes. not what I'd buy now, but I can't think of a better display to hang out at the price club

7. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Nope. Back in the 1070s when I was shopping for my first audio system I thought the 901s sounded diffuse and blowsy with poor stereo imaging. And that may well be the single best product Bose has ever produced.

8. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I remember hear an AM system when they were first introduced and thinking something was missing. The salesman couldn't understand my lack of enthusiasm. Then I listened to a (much cheaper) set of 301s and the sound seemed much fuller (if less detailed). I'm glad I couldn't really afford any of that stuff back then.

9. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

No, truthfully I was not.

It is very thin sounding as all Bose is.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm impressed they can still sell them at the prices they are asking.

11. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I was impressed by how pushy the sales slugs are. They must
    make a 300% Commission on Bose sales, Same goes for anything
    from Monster Cable sold at BB [​IMG]

12. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

"Jesus Christ! Is this the Bose Forum or what?! People, let it go and move on. Sad"
    Jim,
    I think it's more like the SVS Forum. [​IMG] There are more posts about SVS than anything else in here. However, I can fully understand where you are coming from because this Bose stuff is getting old.
    Chris

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Maybe bose should start working on developing BIG speakers with studio quality and stop making 8 oz resin wonders.

My dad viewed a bose demo and I'm afraid he's gonna get a Bose package cause he kept talking about them

But what the heck's a fellow to do... Bose has done their homework when it comes to marketing.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ummm, Bose DOES make large, floorstanding speakers, and always has.

15. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Yes, I bought an AM10 system. They sounded good compared to my cheap KLH speakers. I know much better now, but back then (I was only 17) I hadn't found online forums that knew better. All I knew was what Best Buy had.
    I give the Bose credit for only 2 things:
    The WAF (wife acceptance factor)
    Their large soundfield (albeit not a very accurate one). The duel cube design fills the room well by sending sound to every wall possible for it to reflect off of. Of course you loose directional accuracy and proper imaging that a better speaker has, but it makes you think that those little cubes can belt out a lot more than they really can. People misunderstand a lot of sound for a full range of sound.
    Another observation about bass:
    The reason untrained people think that the Acoustimass Module has good bass (even though it only goes down to 46hz) is it covers a high range (up to 202hz) There is a lot of sound in the 80-200hz range that people hear and think, Wow, that has a lot of bass; not realizing that they are missing the true bass from 20-80hz.
    Once I saw this and saw what the speakers really reproduced, I started looking for new immediatly. I now have a Paradigm Monitor set up and know what I was missing.

16. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

I love that article that breaks the Bose AM system down to it's core components and then proceeds to rip them to shreds. I have read it several times since I stumbled across it, and sometimes I read it just to pass time. Because when people ask me why I don't like Bose I want to state facts such as those mentioned in the article.
    But I digress, this Bose thing has to stop. But I sure do enjoy reading all the posts on the subject. [​IMG]

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

18. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Hell no. Distorted and cheesy sounding.

19. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I didn't really take the time to demo speakers till I was an HTF member so I more informed than your average consumer. I was and still am of the opinion that Bose speakers sound great for something of that size but a full sized speaker delivers more sound for less money.

20. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I HATE to prepetuate a Bose thread, but I feel like I must say this... I can't stand it when Bose-bashers refer to the Bass Module as a "subwoofer". While salespeople may makes references to the Bass Module as being a subwoofer, I don't think Bose has ever made that claim on paper, therefore when people rip on it because it doesn't plumb the depths like a "subwoofer" should, they are really barking up the wrong tree. I look at it like this- Bose took the BASS transducer out of a speaker (which made the speaker tiny since it no longer needs a large volume of air to reproduce bass) and shifted the bass duties to the BASS MODULE. I think this confuses some people who think that if only the bass frequencies are coming from a box on the floor, it must be a subwoofer. I think some people who own an Acoustimass setup may feel like they shouldn't have to add a subwoofer because they already have one. WRONG. If you took the woofers out of a three-way speaker (example: 1" tweeter/3" midrange/8" woofer) that only went down to 40Hz in the first place, put them in a box on the floor, and put the tweeter and midrange in a much smaller box, is the box on the floor with the woofers in it (that still only go down to 40Hz.) a "subwoofer"? No, it is a "bass box/mudule/cube", or whatever you want to call it other than a SUBWOOFER.