What's new

Ok Subwoofer or new set? (1 Viewer)

MichealHebert

Auditioning
I have a delema:

I currently have almost a complete set for 5.1 surround sound. The speakers are DCM16S bookshelf for left/right (5-1/2" driver with tweeter), and KLH HT-300BW for center channel and surrounds (4-1/2" drivers with tweeter, two drivers for center channel). I don't have a subwoofer, but that is my question. I have the choice of a stand alone sub ~$100-150 or a new complete set for the same price range. The full sets that I have seen and would be interested in for that price range are sony, pioneer, and KLH. The reciever I have is a Pioneer, middle of the road quality with 100W per channel output. Sould I stick with what I have and get a sub, or should I try to get a whole new system? Thanks...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A set of speakers in that price range is going to make relatively little difference compared to what you have. The sub would probably add more than speakers in that price range, and the PE sub is right in your price range.

Eric C D

Second Unit

Seconded. The only thing I'd add is that you have mismatched speaker lines across the front. If you are really finding that distracting, you might consider getting the center than matches your two front speakers.

Other than that, I'd say that if you want a big improvement, start saving up.

good luck,

MichealHebert

Auditioning
Thanks for the responces, I was thinking along the same lines that a complete set in that price range really wouldn't add anymore than what I already have. So just adding a Sub to my current set is how I will go. The DAYTON 10" 100 WATT POWERED SUBWOOFER looks nice. Much better than the Sony or others in my price range, thanks. I know I have mismatched the center channel and fronts, but at the moment it is the best I can do. I have had this setup for about a year now and it seems to be OK. But I really really miss low end bass. It is very obvious when watching movies, which is what I do mostly. Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks