Ok, so what's wrong with my DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael Allred, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I have a Sony DVP-S330

I noticed last night that it had problems playing my Oasis "There and Then" concert DVD. The first few chapters would play then when you'd try to skip ahead, it'd just freeze. You could hear the player trying to access the disc. Once I got an error message indicating the DVD itself is dirty. Well it wasn't, nor is it scratched or damaged.

I've never had a problem with playing this DVD before and now it just isn't watchable. I popped this disc into the APEX player I have in the living room and it played perfectly.

So the problem resides in my DVD player then? What should I do?

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Try one of the DVD disc cleaners for starters.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I have the one before that - the DVP-S300. It had the same issue for about 2 hours, then self corrected. I got the 1300 error as well, during the same time.

This was just after hauling it over to a friends house for a demo.

Maybe it's an alignment problem

?

4. Michael Allred

Michael

5. Michael Allred

Michael
    Ok, now several DVD's are skipping/freezing up on me. I played each on the APEX player in the living room and they all played fine out there.

So tonight I bit the bullet and had a look *inside* my Sony player. I don't normally do this as I'm not a tech whiz and am afraid of screwing things up.

Anyhoo, I remembered reading about cleaning off the laser lens with alcohol. So I grabbed a q-tip and alcohol, wiped off the lens, etc.

I put the lid back on, hooked the cables back up and held my breath.

I tried every problem disc I had and wouldn't ya know it, each one played perfectly! I especially took notice around the specific parts of each DVD that froze up, NO problems now.

I've had my player for about 2-2½ years so perhaps dust/smoke, etc had caused this problem? I understand a laser can/is very sensitive so I guess all it needed was a cleaning.

I'm very pleased.

6. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

I have a DVP-S360. It has the same problem. I've tried lens cleaning DVDs and blowing compressed air into the lens area, and I still get a freeze or a skip on about 1/3 of the movies I watch. I've even had it freeze on brand-new straight-from-the-case first-time-ever viewed discs. It's always been prone to freeze with scratched discs (rentals), but it wasn't until I had the player for at least a year before it started having problems with discs in good condition.

I'm just waiting for a good $500 universal player to come out before I replace my current player.

7. Bob Cal

Bob Cal Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony DVP NS-300 which has the dreaded C:13:00 error. I have had the player 14months and now on almost every DVD it will freeze lock up or come up with dirty disk or C:13 error. I did a search and found out this is common problem with a lot of Sony players put out a few years ago. I wrote Sony and got no satisfaction .

I am also searching for a new DVD and needless to say it will not be a Sony.

Bob

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

9. Michael Allred

Michael
    Well the whole alcohol cleaning did the trick for me guys, dunno what to say.

10. Michael Allred

Michael
    Well, I'm back again with the same problem.

My "Star Wars" DVDs (original trilogy) each have a problem with them freezing up at the same spot on each disc (with about an hour or so left in the movie.)

I used to clean the laser lens with alcohol and q-tip and that always seemed to correct the problem. I used to do this every 3 months or so. Then I noticed my player (the same one as before) started having problems more and more frequently.

Now it seems the alcohol/q-tip thing isn't working any more.

Is there a DVD laser lens cleaner I can pop in the player? Similar to ones you can "play" in a CD player?

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I wonder if the alcohol isn't forming something on the lens impairing its ability to read? I've heard there's some things you shouldn't clean with alcohol because of that.
    I've never heard a straight yes or no story about those cleaning discs with brushes on them; some instruction manuals say not to use them, but a few somewhat respectable companies put them out and I don't think they'd put their name on something that would damage a machine. I've never had reason to use one though.
    If the lens is destroyed you can probably get a new laser pickup installed.

12. Michael Allred

Michael
    I picked up a DVD laser lens cleaner today.....it didn't help. [​IMG]

Maybe I should just pack it in and buy a new player.

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As you're seeing, this very much could be the cause of your problems. That, and running the machine for extended periods (all-day movie-marathons and DVD players do not mix). The 330 is a second-generation machine, and bugs were rampant in those days, too.

It is essential that you keep a DVD player clean and dust-free. Dust build-up leads to overheating, and heat is the number one enemy of consumer electronics.

If you want to screen movies all day long, for example, give the player a rest between films.

14. Michael Allred

Michael
    Jack, at the most I'll watch 2 DVDs per day (and usually not back-to-back.)

I've seen some Sony progessive scan players for a tad over $100, should I get one?

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I set up a friend's Sony 725 ($130 at Good Guys) last year, and that nifty little machine works great. Consider it recommended.