What's new

OK, so...Sammy V. Tosh DLP's any input? (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Crutchfild has a pretty good price on this Samsung, or this Toshiba 56 inch, Both 1080p both with two hdmi inputs. Has anyone seen any issues with either?
Is the Sammy one of the ones with the DNIE issue? I'm trying to convince the wife that our healthy Federal Refund will be put to good use with a new display...you know something the whole family can enjoy.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I have the Toshiba 56HM195 (can't comment on the Samsung) but so far after approx 122 hours of use, ... no issues!!!

I bought mine @ Amazon.com (Authorized Toshiba Internet Dealer) and I received my TV in 8-days, ... from on-line order to the 18-wheeler delivery into my HT/family room! (4-days before the Superbowl!!! :)) I bought my matching Toshiba Stand @ another internet dealer and that came a week later!

The following I noted in my HTSpot "56HM195 setup, calibration & subjective review" : ... but HD programs - digital coax (no box) and OTA HD via Zenith Indoor antenna w/Amp is stunning!!!

Upconverted 1081i DVD's - Panasonic S77s w/HMDI, ... is excellent to stunning - depending on the DVD video transfer's! Digital movie transfer DVD's are the best, i.e. Star Wars EP2 & EP3; Spy Kids; The Incredibles; Finding Nemo; etc.

Subjective Observations and Comments from Family & Friends.

.... "Wow!" (jaw-drop!)

.... "That's really sharp and clear!"

.... "Incredible! Look at all the intricate colors and details!! Let's re-watch all our DVD's!!!"

.... "This TV is TOO good & clear, ... now you can tell on some scene's what's CGI!"
........ My son while viewing "Star Wars - The Phantom Menace"

.... "You can see all the makeup variations on some of the newscaster(s)!"

.... "CSI is now more gross in it's crystal-clear depiction of an autopsy procedure and occasional bullet/weapon entering/damage path CGI effects!"
........ I personally can't watch all that crystal clear CGI gory detail(s) - tis' why I'm a MCAD/ECAD designer and not a doctor!!!

Issues:
Based on some forums, the Lamp might be an issue with early failure - though it is covered in the original Toshiba 1-year warranty. I might?? get an extra lamp (approx. $376 w/SH) so I don't have any down-time waiting for Toshiba to ship me one covered by the warranty.

So in my case, the Jury is still out about the Lamp.

VISUAL HIGHLIGHTS - AFTER VIDEO CALIBRATION
1) Glorious Picture - HDTV Broadcasts & DVD / 1080i HDMI :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
.... a) Color accuracy, balance, smoothness and w/near 3D depth!
.... b) Crystal squeaky clean clear!! - HDTV specifically
.... c) Black & White programs & DVD's (Maltese Falcon, etc.) are excellent with inky blacks and super details from the subtle shades of grey up to white!
.... d) Geometry near perfect horizontally & vertically out of the box - no adjustments required!
.... e) Convergence = Perfect - thank you DPL (no worries about burn-in either)
.... f) No visible pixel or raster lines @ 9 feet away (even if you stare at the screen from a foot away!!! - uncanny)

Hope this helps,
Phil

Lyle

Auditioning
When I researched the Toshiba's and the Samsung's the only real difference which I discovered is that "supposedly" the Samsung TV's are made with a higher quality lense.

To my eye, the Samsung picture did seem crisper as well, but when I got it home I started noticed something I later learned is called the "rainbow effect". Make sure you research what that is, because if you're affected by it, you won't want to own a flywheel DLP. I'm waiting for the new Samsung DLP unveiled at CES, which uses LED with no flywheel now and thus no rainbow effect.

The only way to decide is for you to see both sets, properly calibrated running off the same feed. Unless you notice the rainbow effect, you won't be disappointed with either of these high quality sets, but if you get the chance to compare them side by side, I'm sure you'll notice something which tilts you towards one over the other.

Craig

Second Unit
FYI, I believe the Toshiba is the same set that One Call has for $2399 and, unless things have changed recently, they're an authorized Toshiba dealer. I've had good luck with One Call in the past.

The Perfect Vision (magazine) had reviews of the Samsung 56" HL-R5668W 1080P DLP (not the exact same model, I know) and the Toshiba 62" 62HM195 1080P DLP in the latest issue, and from my reading the Toshiba got a much better overall review. Having said that, they're are a ton of happy Samsung owners and Samsung certainly has a lot of experience with DLP.

Have you been able to check out the sets in person at local stores? I'd just pick the one that looks best to you.

NateS

Agent
I went with the Tosh 56HM195 about a month after they appeared in my local big box store. Still haven't gotten around to calibrating (don't have a disc), but I love the picture on this set.

Just put it through a rigorous test- an all-night movie marathon consisting of six movies (The Man, The Recruit, Reign of Fire, Timeline, The Legend of Zorro, and Stealth) back-to-back with no stops. The TV responded great. I'm running it off of a Samsung HD-850 DVD player, upconverting over HDMI to 1080i.

Again, even without calibration, this TV is great. Plus, I got it for a great price: $2099 for the TV, which enabled me to throw on the 3yr extended warrantee for an extra $400. Bottom line? I don't think you can go wrong with the set.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I agree wholeheartedly, ... while I watch the crystal clear Video Calibrated stunning picture HD broadcast of the Olympics!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks