What's new

OK so I got my Rotel RB-1090 yesterday, but there's no power cord! Help! (1 Viewer)

KyleT

Stunt Coordinator
Well just like the thread title says. I bought it from a guy on ebay and he didn't include the power cable. So I'm wondering if it's OK to use one of the power cables I have laying around the house that is normally used with computer towers and monitors? The cables from those devices seems to fit perfectly... but I'm just wondering if there are any fancy specification that the RB-1090 requires or recommends out of a power cable that not just any power cable has?

Thanks.:)

Mark All

Second Unit
Kyle,
You'd be shocked (not literally!) at the cheap power cords Rotel includes with their amps. You can use any power cord that fits, but like Charles said above, you're better off in the long term getting a better cable than a generic one. That's probably what the Ebay seller did, so it's not surprising he didn't send you his upgraded power cord.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Rotel and other high end brands often send out very average detachable power cords with their gear. Sometimes some of the detachable computer power cords that you have lying around might even be better than the stock power cord that Rotel sent you, as they might even have better shielding and a lower gauge to protect computers from EMI, RF, power surges and other harmful occurences that could conceivable fry a computer motherboard.
The ebay seller probably still has the stock power cord lying around somewhere, but forget to pack it because he was using an aftermarket power cable, which is what I suggest you also look into considering how good of an amp the 1090 is. Just look for something with a decent gauge, good connectors and some sort of shielding (either through geometry or composition).

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
oddly enough, i just received a crown CE1000 amp from an ebay seller today that did not include a power cord. i was just planning on using a computer powercord (since i can goto the local computer goodwill and get one for a buck or two). ill probably briefly look into aftermarket powercords after reading this thread, until i realize that they are way more than i would want to spend.

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
David
The computer power cord will degrade your sound slightely IMO.
It is not neccessary to break the bank but a tight fitting heavy gauge power cord (at least heavier than computer junk) will make an audible difference in dynamics.
Just MO.
Steve

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i prefer to make my own. for about $30-$40 you can get techflex, heatshrink, an iec connector, and a hospital grade connector from partsexpress.com. i use carol 12 ga. 3 conductor wire which is readily available at home depot for about .40 a foot. i've replaced the power cords on my palladium ii monoblocks and 8008x3b with these cords. can't say i noticed a huge improvement but they're much more attractive now and i needed specific lengths which only custom made cords could've allowed me. just a thought.

kevin t

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My that is a dear price to pay for a power cord. If the gauge of the cord matters that much to you, online you'll find that Newark Electronics has a wide variety of types such as this one for under $7 + s/h. It'll do 10 amps, has a right angle connector, and will come with a UL listing indicating it was made with the intention of not killing you ;) Newark Electronics has a variety of offices and distribution centers around the country so there may be one local to you.
As far as protecting equipment against surges, unless it also contains some sort of surge protection circuitry, that's quite impossible. The inside of a computer is a cauldron of EMI and RFI however the vast majority of boards that could be placed in there work quite well in this situation.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
Steve,
The CE1000 is going to be powering my sub. it is my understanding that in general subs are less sensative to these sorts of degredation (hence so many people using these lower end pro amps when they would be unwilling to use them on their main speakers). given that its just supposed to be used on a sub, do you think that it would be a noticable difference?

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle
I'm GUESSING you will probably not hear a difference...however.
If it were me I would seek out a heavy gauge cord (not a high end big buck audiophile cord) and use that over a computer cord. I'm not sure how much power your sub draws but it would be nice to have a decent tight fitting cord that you know will supply the juice and stay put. Sometimes peace off mind is important to me and in this case the cord will be cheap either way.
Steve

Kevin T

Screenwriter
chu:

i didn't pay for a performance enhancement. i paid so that i could have my own custom length and to have a nicer looking cord than stock power cords. aesthetics is worth the premium to me, especially since the premium is so low compared to other "tweaks" being recommended out there.

kevin t

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. I'm not so concerned if my cord is 3 or 4 feet and the black doesn't bother me. I consider these commodity items but I can appreciate people having a preference for having them look a particular way. Heavier gauge cords in a variety of typical lengths with straight and right angle connectors and the UL safety listing are available quite inexpensively.

Users who are viewing this thread