ok, so how many of you have black ceilings?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ace peterson, Jul 7, 2001.

1. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

OK, so I was wondering...
    How many of you actually have black ceilings in your HT's? I'm in the process of painting my own ceiling black right now, and boy is it black! Hopefully it doesn't overwhelm everything in the room. But, right now black is the only color in the room otherthan the drywall-grey and cement floor.
    What are your opinions on black ceilings? Do those of you that have them really like them? I guess I can always paint over it later if I wanted to.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    AP

2. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

My ceiling is black, and so is the front wall around my screen. My flooring also is black. I made the side walls gray to keep the room from totally being a black pit, and I introduced color in the form of movie posters. Seating, carpeting and drape colorings are other ways you can introduce color.
    The black ceiling made an improvment in the brightness of my projected image as compared to the white ceiling that was in the room originally. At least that's my perception.
    Good luck. I bet your ceiling won't seem so oppressive once the whole room is finished.
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Theater:
    Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

My Super-8 Filmmaking Site:
    http://www.super8filmmaking.com

3. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

Mine is a suspended ceiling with dark blue panels and rails. I was originally going to go with black, but my wife and I thought a dark blue themed room would look better. Our walls are carpeted in blue, as is the floor. The upholstery on the theatre seats is also blue. Someday I hope to have pictures of it up here, but a digital camera is not currently high on my priority list.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Hi I'm Reddy Killowatt reporting a dangerous overloaded octopus connection in sector five!"
    My HT Equipment | My DVD List

4. Gary_R

Gary_R Agent

I have a sculptured ceiling in my basement, and, during the process of slowly, stelthily converting the room into a HT, the white ceiling remained undisturbed in its brightness. My wife compromised on a lot of things, but my mere mention of a dark ceiling raised, not a black, but a red flag!
    -Gary

5. Manny

Manny Auditioning

I have black ceiling and a front wall (Where the big screen is).
    I have burgandy walls (Three sides).
    Brown Carpet. Black leather couch for three. (I need better seating).
    I have two movie poster. No one has complained so for. I don't have a wife either.
    Manny

6. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Mike-
    Yeah, your right. All the posters do help out a lot. I like your theater!! Your ceiling is slightly higher than mine by the looks of it. Mine is about 7.5 ft.
    AP

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Shortly I will be ready to paint my theater and will paint the ceiling flat black with planets scattered around. I will also use a black light to hopefully make them glow and stand out. I cannot afford a professional artist so I will try and tackle it myself. Wish me luck!
    Wes

8. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Ace,
    Thanks. Nope... my ceiling is 7.5 feet as well. It even loses a foot under the air conditioning duct that runs the rightside length of my 11 x 18 room.
    Have fun with your theater. My ceiling took a LOT of black paint. It just soaked the stuff up, plus the blown popcorn thingies kept falling down. During the process, that made it look like a starfield. Of course, I wasn't aiming for that effect and kept painting and knocking popcorn thingies down until it was all black.
    Take care.
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Theater:
    Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

My Super-8 Filmmaking Site:
    http://www.super8filmmaking.com

9. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    I made my cieling black. I put black baint in the sound- absorbing gypsum that I spayed the cieling with. And I put fiberoptic stars random in the cieling.
    ------------------
    Go see my new theater CINEMAX!
    Then give me your thoughts!!
    http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

10. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Well, the ceiling is now totally black and I think it looks awesome! It did take 2 heavy coats to cover it. I also have the "popcorn" style texture on the ceiling and you have to spray it at every angle to get it. At first we tried to roll it on... forget that idea. We borrowed my father-in-law's sprayer and got it done in about an hour. However, once it dried, I can see a few white spots where we need to touch up. Overall, I think it will be cool.
    Mike, your room is exact dimensions as mine. (11' x 19' x 7.5') And I also have an air duct running down the right side, except mine is a double wide air duct. Cursed thing! I built a soffit around it so you don't see it now, but the soffit is about 4' wide. So it sticks out into the room more than yours does. And it is 6.5' of headroom under that soffit. Needless to say, i wish it wasn't there.
    I must say though, that once it was painted black it was much less noticable.
    AP

11. Darren Hunt

Darren Hunt Agent

I have the same situation as you guys do with the air ducts running down one side of the room. When I first bought my house, the ceiling was drywalled with a 10" drop where the air ducts ran. I was very unhappy with this as it gave the room a lop-sided effect. As a result, I tore it all down and reframed the room to have a 10" drop about 2.5' into the room, all the way around the room. This gave me the ability to cover the air ducting, make the room look equal in shape, and give me a cool place to run my cables as now I can run them along the inside of this dropped ceiling along the outside edge of the room.
    This also gave me a higher ceiling, as I did not drywall the ceiling as it was done before. Instead, I lined the space between the jousts with 8" insulation squashed into a 1.5" space, covered with drywall. This was to help deaden the sound from the living room upstairs. I couldn't do much more as most of the sound will travel through the jousts any ways. I then hammered in extra boards between the jousts to give the room a checker board look on the ceiling. I now have 10" to 12" squares through out my ceiling within the dropped ceiling edge (does that make any sense?). Imagine a square donut where the outside is dropped 10", and the inside is checker boarded. I have painted the ceiling completely black, and am in the process of making individual sound diffusors to place within each "square" that I created in the ceiling. There are approximately 144 of them to make, all about 9" square and 6" deep. It is an on going project that is taking me much to long to do. I am hoping in the end to remove the nasty reflection one typically gets with a flat ceiling. Having diffusors up there should increase my sound field and give me a much more 'open' sound.
    In the end, my dropped part of the ceiling is dark blue with a light blue marble look, the inner ceiling is completely flat black with dark blue diffusors stuck up inside of each hole, and the checkerboard final touch is 3" strips of wood running along the jousts and in-between-boards to create a nice, even hatched ceiling. I can't wait for it to be done, yet hate doing it as it is very repetitive.
    Darren