What's new

OK, should I shell out for an expensive receiver... (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I have been looking at numerous receivers for over 2 months now and have vacillated over different models and how much I am willing to spend. What I REALLY want is the Onkyo tx-ds797. I can get it new for about $775 with a warranty. I have listened to this receiver in the store and like the sound quality. However, as a practical matter, I have not really been able to do really valid comparison testing of different receivers on a like system, with the same speakers. I currently have a two year old, $200 Sony receiver. I want to upgrade to get DTS and PLII, but I can get those features from an Onkyo 494, 595, or numerous other models in the Denon and Kenwood lines. I guess what I want to know is, will I hear any significant difference in sound quality if I shell out this much money for a receiver? I am kind of trying to head off buyer's remorse at the pass I guess. But I suspect that if many people were going to be totally honest they might offer the opinion that sound quality does not improve substantially until you go to separates, which is WAY beyond my price range. If that is the case, why not just grab the ds595 and be done with it until I can afford a separates system in the future?

Oh, and I don't really need things like 6.1 decoding, although it would be nice to have it in case I move into a house in a year or two. So if features is the only issue, it is not worth the $400 price difference. It's got to sound noticeably better.

My speakers are all Paradigm Reference line BTW for the fronts and Center, and Titans for rears, if that matters.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
The 797 sounds good.

I am personally waiting for the Kenwood 6070 or 6090 which will have 6.1, THX cert.,DPL2, etc.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
ERIC/ We are in the same boat. Onkyo 797/898, Denon 3802, Sony DA5ES.

???????????????????????????????

I was wondering the same thing, if the 898 is worth the $350-400 difference over the 797. Will the 797 do all we need and want???? I think so! But who knows!

Thats why I looked at the Sony for $900. It has all the 6 channel stuff you need or want.

All the Denon 3802's may be made in Japan. Big plus.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
if you will be buying a receiver, i will advise you to buy the model that has the pre-amp outputs. this way, you can easily add an external amplifier if the upgrade fever attacks. (use the receiver as the pre-pro until you can save some more for a separate pre-pro). i bought the onkyo575 before and i cannot move to separates without buying both the pre/pro and amp. because my receiver doesn't have the pre outs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would say yes, you will hear the difference between a 595 and a 797 for sure. Feature wise, you are not gaining a whole lot, but depending on your speakers, you will always benefit from having more than enough power.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

I know how you feel buddy. I was just back and forth on all sorts of issues like room to grow, latest greatest, return on investment, spend x dollars more get y % more improvement, etc, etc.

In the end I just bought the Denon 1602 and I'm very happy with it. Music "could" sound better, but I have dpl 2 which I use for almost everything!!! It could use a little more power, I've heard more dynamic sounding music, but build quality is very solid, my friend's onkyo has been getting serviced for like over a month now, and other associates have not had altogether great experiences with onkyo.

I'd say The difference in sound quality between a $400-$500 receiver and a $800-$1000 receiver is not what you are expecting... for that price jump, you typically get more power which results in more dynamic cleaner sound at higher levels, but no real sonic improvements that'll jump out at you. You will be completely satisfied with the lower priced models. For that price difference you typically just get more channels, more inputs, in addition to the power.

I've got an awesome 7.1 system now and well considering the lack of software, the fact that multichannel music is 5.1, most of music collection is 2 channels, and DPL II sounds fine in 5.1, 6.1/7.1 is real luxury you should really only get if you can afford it. I'd much rather have a really nice 5.1 system than a cheap 6.1/7.1 system.

If I were you, I'd get the cheaper receiver for now, enjoy it for all it's worth as a super duper 5.1 system, then if/when you get your house, you can always move the cheaper receiver to a second room and jump way beyond the 797, maybe up to seperates or flagships.

IMHO the Denon has better build quality than the Onkyo. Get the 1602 for under $350 from brick and mortar or ~$300 online. It's the same as an 1802 with 10 less watts per channel (you'll barely notice), but you will notice the price savings and it has DPLII, which I love.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
OK guys, well I did it. I think my solution was a good compromise between my innate rationality (telling me to buy a budget receiver) and my irrepressible desire to always have the top of the line. I found a Denon 3801, which by specs is the same as the Denon 3802 except it doesn't decode PLLII, for $475 new in the box +$25 shipping. I did want PLII, but I couldn't pass it up for the price on that unit. Low online street price is $675 on it. Provided it shows up with no defects, I will have zero buyer's remorse. In fact, I am really looking forward to getting it. I only got a 30-day dealer warranty, but at that price, I'll take the chance. And I stayed within my original budget that I set out for myself two months ago!

Thanks to all for the advice!

Chip E

Screenwriter
Sounds like a pretty good deal you got there Eric! Congrats... and hey, I just bought an Integra DTR-6.2 (same as the Onkyo 696), it has DPLII and i have to tell you, it's turned out too be a whole lot less important than i thought it would. DPLII isn't as good as i thought it would've been... it does improve ProLogic but, not by much (too my ears) ya ain't miss'n nutt'n! lol...

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get the Onkyo. I own over $25,000 worth of equipment, and out of all that I own, all of the Onkyo units have been subject to malfunctioning. I would go with the Denon, or the Kenwood. Those units will offer good performance for the buck.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Don't get the Onkyo."

A little rough no?

Your experiences as far as reading posts regarding Onkyo owners seems to be the exception not, the rule.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Chip,

I try to not sound like an opinionated salesman pitching one brand over another, but at the same time Eric WAS asking for opinions and suggestions... and my personal experiences along with those of my friends and associates have made me wary of onkyo products... I also think the build quality and components on the Integra line are a lot better than on the Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks