What's new

Ok seriously, enough with Peyton Manning already (1 Viewer)

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Or who ever that big dork quarterback from the Colts is.

He's in like 80% of commercials airing on TV in the U.S. selling everything from.. well whatever he's getting paid mega bucks to sell.

Enough is enough! Get this big dork off my screen and stick him back on the field trying to toss footballs to his buddies!! :thumbsdown: :angry:

Duh I'm Peyton Manning and when your wife needs to feel extra fresh I go for a new woman, or who ever happens to be in the locker room at the time.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I've got no beef with the guy personally. He was hillarious on SNL and most of his commercials have been entertaining, but there is such a thing as overexposure. Know when to say no. I'm to the point where I conciously tune out any commercial he's in for that reason and I'm not alone. I couldn't even identify any or the products he's endorsing now which is the last thing advertisers want.

Any advertising concept loses it's effect after a point. Manning will find a resting place with The Budweiser frogs and "whasaaaaaaaaaap" before long.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I do realize that sports figures selling products is as old as time itself, and there's definitely no envy or hate Dave Brown :P, but I guess I'm just seeing too many commercials with Manning lately.

Not the same commercials either, different ones for different products.

And another thing, Manning has practically no personality or camera presence. They could have CG'd him into the ads and saved some money. =/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Gary: I think you'd have to acknowledge that's certainly a debatable point. There's an awful lot of Madison Avenue-types who must not agree with that perspective.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
If I was in Peyton's shoes, I'd be milking it for all it was worth, too. If people will pay you that much, take it. It's not like he has artistic integrity to compromise.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary

Uh no, that's not debatable IMO. He's like a big blank wall. :P

The only thing I'd give to Manning is that he does invoke a sort of very old school football player from like the 30's, 40's, or 50's. He's got that look that isn't necessarily easy on the eyes but he does look like a vintage football player(ie. not a modern day pretty boy football player).

If I were to make a movie about that football player (fill in the blank) from the 30's then I'd cast Manning as an extra to give the bench a more authentic look.

But in numerous commercials? Can we narrow it down to 1?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Maybe you should marry Peyton Manning if you love him so much. :P

This thead is deteriorating pretty quickly.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Sorry Mike, I concede. :) I don't want to make it sound like I'm busting veins over here over the commercials or that my opinions are the definitive way of thinking.

I realize there's not an awful lot to talk about with this subject matter but I certainly don't want to stifle discussion by exhibiting a bullish or ignorant attitude. ;)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What I don't understand is why the quarterback with one ring this decade gets 20 times the endorsements of the quarterback that has 3 rings this decade? Plus, women tell me the latter guy is 10 times better looking than the former. I guess I just don't understand marketing. :frowning:

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

It's because he's pretty likeable. He's family-friendly, squeaky-clean, with a touch of 'southern charm'. Not knowing, perhaps this 3-ringed QB isn't as able to convey charm or good-naturedness? Contrasting Peyton with the 'thug athlete' syndrome that's starting to creep into the NFL, and he's a marketing dream come true.

And I generally agree - most of the spots I've seen him in were very well done. The ones with him giving advice are starting to wear, however. But I'd watch any commerical with him in it over his brother, Eli, anyday.

(And it comforts me to think that my Nebraska Cornhuskers beat him and the Tenn. Vols for the NC in '97, so I can be a bit magnanious towards him. :) )

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Manning is representing what's right in sports right now. I say market the crap out of the guy if you want. It's better than them marketing the Bengals :), Leonard Little or the other issue ridden players in sports. It gives kids someone positive to look up to.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
So I take it that we won't be seeing Michael Vick in a DirecTv commercial pitching his new dog fighting channel.

(bad joke sorry!)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Because Manning is driving his bus, and Brady is only in the front seat of his :) Because of a certain je ne sais quoi. Maybe Brady is an asshat. I don't know. Women might want to screw Brady, but I think they trust Manning. He's got that big brother thing going. That sells more widgets.

Benovite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
This reminds me of some Dave Chappelle skit in which that hip hop guys sells his company's tampons.

Hi I'm Peyton Manning and I'd like sell you something that helps me in the end zone during those hard passes: Preperation H.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Because the dude with three rings is a big CHEATER!!! :P

I kid, I kid (or rather, I don't really care, I think every team cheats, the Pats just got caught). What's the old saying? "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin!"

I'm not a Peyton or Colts fan, but the commercials I have seen him in, as well as the SNL episode, had me rolling! That one where he dances in the locker room...well that takes a certain amount of cojones. But the best has to be when he's playing football with the kids. "Go stand over there...I can't even look at you right now..." :laugh:

Of course, I don't really watch much TV, and when I watch sports I usually am a few minutes behind on the DVR and FF past commercials, or when they come on, I flip to another channel, so I haven't been completely inundated with Peyton commercials. I'm aware he's the plat du jour, but no worse than others in the past who have been in similar situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks