What's new

OK say you go out and get yourself a new TV with a HDCP capable DVI input, and then- (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
OK, say you go out and get yourself a new TV with a HDCP capable DVI input, and then-

And then, you are the first on the block to get the new HD DirecTivo when it comes out. You hook it up to your HDCP DVI input so you can take advantage of time shifting all that wonderful HD programing.

A bit later you spot the new Samsung DVD player that outputs 720p/1080i and snatch it off the shelf only to come home and find that you have no place to plug it's HDCP encoded DVI input into your monitor.

I don't know of any mainstream monitors that include more than one HDCP capable DVI input.

What about in a couple of years, say HD DVD becomes a reality. If the players aren't backward compatible you will want to keep that Samsung player so that you can watch your older DVDs at the higher resolution.

That leaves you with 3 sources outputting a HDCP encoded DVI signal and still only the one input. Didn't the manufacturers learn anything with component inputs? We went from 1 set of "standard" component inputs, to 1 standard - 1 "wide-band", to 2 wide-band inputs in just a couple of model years. Now we are going from 1 DVI input, to 1 DVI/HDCP input in 1 model year or so. Couldn't they have learned from the past and started putting 2 DVI/HDCP inputs on new displays?

Oh.. and another problem. Say in the midst of all of the above you decide to add digital front projection to your room while keeping your regular HD display as well for casual viewing. Now you made sure to get a HDCP capable DVI input on your new projector only to get it home and think hmmm.... How in the world am I going to split that HDCP encoded DVI signal from those 3 components to feed my TV and projector, both of which only have 1 DVI/HDCP input?

No real point in all this, it's just the crap that goes on in my brain when it's idle :b Just food for thought or discussion.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
You will need a DVI swticher, just as people are discussing component switchers. The switcher will need to be HDCP compliant. At least one such switcher has already shown up in a thread at avsforum and seems to work well.

SMK

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
This is why I like the IEEE1394 idea better....you pass the signal through all the components and do the switching digitally.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
yeah, firewire is much better conceptually, but we are going to be stuck with DVI switching. So far, no receivers that I'm aware of have it, and the only switches are manual, and expensive. Given the high quality of the signal, however, I hope to see the products improve in the near future...

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same question too. This is why I'm holding off on buying a new tv. I don't want to spend a couple of thousand dollars for something that will not have the necessary inputs I will need in the future. I figured I'd let the dust settle first before I jumped into getting an HDTV set.

Chris

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But waiting for the dust to settle can take a long time, especially for someone who's actually following forum sites like this one. There will always be more issues that crop up to make you reluctant to spend the $$$. A couple years ago, you would be worried about HD component becoming obsolete. Last year, you'd be worried about whether it's firewire or DVI/HDCP. Now, you're worried about having only one DVI/HDCP input. Next year, they'll put in 2 inputs, but you'll still be unhappy w/ that. And then, when they finally give you just enough inputs to avoid any external switching, you'll be worried about something else like an affordable LCOS display being just around the corner...

Seems to me that something as minor as input switching, which can be worked around, should not really be a factor against taking the plunge. If it's a choice between a TV w/ or w/out it, that's different.

_Man_

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Man-Fai,

You're right. There will always be something that comes up that will be "bigger and better" than what you got. But for me it is still one of the issues that will affect my decision before buying an HDTV. It is not the most important one, but just one. I guess I didn't clarify this in my previous post.

Chris

JackS

Supporting Actor
Any improved connection that should appear in the near future will probably impact more on the convienence factor rather than any substantial HD performance increase. Many sets today have either DVI or firewire so choose one or both and begin to enjoy HD today. I just recently purchased a set that had DVI but could have as easily bought a set with the firewire connection. I doubt that users that have neither of these connections are in any severe state of regret and are truly worried about what the next new wave will bring.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Chris,

Have you read the Joe Kane thread? If you read that thread, you'd probably think this lack of multiple DVI inputs issue to be an insignificant drop in the bucket when it comes to taking the plunge. :D

Me? Like JackS points out, I don't worry about it much. I only took the plunge myself a couple months ago and chose a 53" Panny that comes w/ ZERO DVI (or firewire) input. It's cheap enough that I don't worry about it. Given the state of HDTV technologies and the nature of CRT-based RPTVs, I'll probably want to upgrade 5 years or so from now anyway. And at that point, I'd probably be gearing up for HD-DVD as well. :D

_Man_

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Man-Fai & Jack,

I guess I am looking for a bit of convenience with the additional DVI/HPCP inputs. But believe me the urge to upgrade gets worse everyday. Looking in the Sunday newspaper at the circulars is torture. I just need to save up a few more $$$ and then I'll start researching more thoroughly. Hopefully I'll be in the "club" soon. But after reading Joe Kane's post, I might be better off throwing away all my televisions and just listening to the radio, like they did in the good old days.:D

Chris

John McCutcheon

Auditioning
At some point, I expect we'll see A/V receivers that will do DVI switching.
Oh no, my VSX-49TXi will be obsolete! :frowning:
It's a vicious cycle Chris, just jump in and enjoy!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This is where having separates can be nice besides the better overall quality. Just upgrade the preamp or decoder, not an entire receiver. Of course, separates ain't cheap.

I might be better off throwing away all my televisions and just listening to the radio, like they did in the good old days. :D
Ha ha. Reminds me of Radio Days and Avalon. We may think there's not enough HD programming right now, but at least we're not relegated to B&W test patterns during all the non-HD hours. :D

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks