What's new

Ok....ready to buy, but need some advice - Please help! (1 Viewer)

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, after years (it seems) of analysis paralysis, I'm days away from getting my first 5.1 system. I'm buying a Denon 3803 AVR and will probably mate it to the following Paradigm speakers:
Fronts - Monitor 11's
Center - CC370
rear surrounds - ADP 370's
Subwoofer - pw2200

Here are my questions:
1 - what do you think of this system in general?

2 - do I really need the 11's instead of the 9's? (I like BIG fronts, but maybe I'm just doing a 'Tim Allen')

3 - I've heard that the ADP 370s sound great for movies, but don't handle DVD music as rear channels with vocals and instruments sounding muddy on tracks that make more use of them - do I really need to only use these as side surrounds and go with direct radiating speakers for the rear? Would direct radiating rears by themselves provide a diverse enough soundfield for movies? If so, which timbre-matched Monitor series would be best - the monitor 3's?

4 - What crossover setting would work out best overall with this set-up? Maybe between 80-90 hertz due to the center and surrounds?

Thanks for your input!

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
i think that should be a sweet setup...i am picking up some monitor 7's, cc370, and mini-monitor's today...

a couple things i would point out would be, you might not need the extra bass from the 11's or 9's for the front since you are getting the sub also...and maybe get the mini-monitors for the rears instead of the costly adp's...

all in all, that should be a rocking system...enjoy

Mike

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Mike. Your point about the mini's is well taken. What do the rest of you think about using direct radiating rears in a 5.1 set-up instead of bi/dipoles? Most packaged systems seem to include the latter rather than the former - is that just because of a heavier weighting towards playing movies over music? Also, are there any authorized internet dealers for Paradigm? I am really in a quandry now that I have read so many great reviews of the Axiom Epic 80 system! Here's my room specs:

24x24 w/ high open beam ceiling, carpet flooring, and windows on one side wall and a 12x8 opening to another room on the opposite side wall. HTS would be on one wall 90 degrees to these side walls with couch in the middle of the room.

Any ideas and opinions are appreciated, I'd like to make a purchase before Xmas!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I've got Monitor 11's in the front and Monitor 7's in the rear and do not regret getting direct radiating for the rears. I do about 50/50 movie and music listening. I always look to have the best sound for music and let the movie part fall in place and it works out. I think 80hz would be a good crossover point, but you should experiment within you room. The 11's and 9's also have a completely different sound IMO, so it isn't simply a choice of "what size speaker do I want" between the two. I thought the 9's duller, not as full sounding as the 11's, if that helps any.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne! Ok, now I'm really pissed. I went to one of the "better brick and mortar" shops in our area - San Fernando Valley to discuss the system I've outlined above and ask about what real services I might expect if I buy AVR and speakers from them, and the following are the results:

Service for the extra $: not much, help in placement, help with spl'ing after purchase. No installation, no upgrade path etc w/o extra charges.

Info/knowledge:
1. Didn't know anything about Axiom at all - tended to denigrate any internet only companies - "must not have been able to get anyone to carry them ... doesn't that tell you something?"

2. Wanted to move me up from Monitor 9/11 fronts with sub to Studio 20's and studio center with non-timbre matched rears (mini's?)and sub. While this may be technically ok, they couldn't justify and only said 'you'll see a big difference and the sub will do fine instead of the full range fronts". When I listened to that set-up - it did nothing to thrill me bass wise and they only blamed that on the DTS demo movie choices they had.

3. Couldn't talk to Pioneer AVR's and knocked Denon saying they used to carry, but too many problems with quality and warrantee work with the 3802' and 52xx/42xx products caused them to drop them. They carry Marantz, Yamaha, Rotel and up

So why would I go with a B&M? This is a well respected shop that has been in business for years,

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator
There are no online Paradigm retailers :)

Just order the 3803 online from 6ave.com if that is what you want. Its what I want...

thats all I can say though, as i have no exp with Paradigms

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well you figure any store would have good demo material if they have any sense. Sounds like this place might not be who you want to deal with. I'd go back with your own demo material and have them set up the systems you want to hear, within reason. When I went to my Paradigm dealer, I had them pull speakers out of different rooms and hook them all up so I could judge them properly, if they don't want to do this, I guess they don't want your business. And another thing, just because the Studio line is considered the better lineup, doesn't mean you have to like the sound more. I mean, you can't even compare the Monitor 11's and Studio 20's, those speakers are night and day and each will serve it's purpose well. Listen and go with what you feel is best. Good luck!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I've had Monitor v2 7s before. Now I've moved onto the Studio v2 40s.

There was a night and day difference. The Paradigm sound is still there but what I noticed is that there's an incredible amount of imaging given from the Studios over the Monitors.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah - and if you want that thrilling bass, that PSW2200 when setup correctly will still do the trick even on those Studio 20s. Although I would probably have to say that the SVSs are at a better price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks