OK, people love Toshiba, and Mits, but what about Panny?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I would buy a Toshiba, but I see the screen size of 42" compared to the Panasonic 47" for the same price, and I wonder if the Toshiba would be good for me or not. I have heard several good and bad about the Mits, but hardly anything about the Panasonic 16x9 RP HDTVs.
    I also know that the Panny is available in my Best Buy, Circuit City, and Ovation stores that I know if I move (which I will in 3 years) will be in a place that I can have it fixed if need be. I also know I can get Sears to price match an internet dealer and like the ability to get the cheapest price for a good quality TV.
    So... what about the Panny HDTVs? Good news...bad news. Good picture? Good service/support? Good ability to tweak? Easily to use by a ignorant consumer?
    Thanks for all the help!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Being a dealer of both, I have to be a bit careful here of what I say!
    The PT-47 is a very nice set. Panasonic is more guilty of tuning the set for the Circuit City's of the world, but this is all 'fixable'. I've got a fully calibrated unit on my showroom floor and it consistently draws it's fair share of attention. This set really shines with DVD and especially with HDTV signals.
    The 42H81 has an absolutely wonderful picture. I've noted a fair amount of internal cabinet reflections, but it's not enough of a problem to be a deal-breaker by any means.
    I would say both sets are highly recommended.

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Grady,
    With HDTV or a progressive scan DVD input both sets will look great, especially after calibration. The difference is with NTSC sources, like cable. That's where the extra money for the Toshiba pays off. The Tosh has (IMO) a better NTSC tuner, line doubler/scaler and stretch modes.
    The Panny can also look good with NTSC sources, particularly if you have it calibrated, but IMO a calibrated Tosh will be noticably better. IMO, the Toshiba sets have one of the best internal line doublers on the market today. In fact, I would say that only the Pioneer Home and Pioneer Elites have a better line doubler, but even the Pioneer Home sets cost a fair bit more than the same size Toshiba set.
    ------------------
    Dan

4. Chris_Shep

Chris_Shep Auditioning

I've had the Panny PT-47 for about 8 weeks now. I am not a tremendous videophile and to be honest, couldn't tell much of a difference in the stores between it and the Toshiba's or Hitachi's. It was bought purely on price (if you compare it to a Tosh 50" or any of the Hitachi's or others out there, per inch it is less expensive)
    That being said, now that it was in the living room and I had never had an RPTV, much less HD, I was pretty stuck as to what needed to be done to tune it. After much research I accomplished the following configuration:
    1. Primary programming via Dish Network 6000 receiver with 8VSB for local HD channels into component 1.
    2. Sony DVD (non-progressive) into component 2.
    3. Standard cable basic channels into Ant. In 1.
    I adjusted the set for Red Push, optimized the colors and reduced the brightness and contrast. I opened the box and disconnected the SVM. And I couldn't be HAPPIER! Dish looks great, HD is incredible, DVDs are crisper and clearer than ever. Black is black, white is white, edges are smooth without a false sharpness and ring to them.
    This was accomplished without any prior knowledge of RPTVs and probably a total of 45 mins spent configurating the set. The set is easy to use, the line doubler makes standard signals cleaner, HD looks great. I still need to get Avia, and do the 64 pt convergence, but I have absolutely 0 regrets with this set (only regret is not getting HDnet since it came out right after I made my choice!)
    Summary: Are there better sets? Probably. Is this set acceptable and worth the money? Definately. Will saving the couple hundred to a thousand on this set allow me to convince my wife to let me buy a larger set in 3-5 years with DVI/IEEE? Yes, the groundwork is already laid.
    Chris

5. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I would go for the Panny IF my wife would approve. [​IMG]
    EDIT: Anyone know how to convice a women that a RPTV is essential to life and happiness?
    [Edited last by Richard_Huntington on October 25, 2001 at 07:55 AM]

6. Chris Vargas

Chris Vargas Agent

7. Grady Hollums

Richard & Chris:
    Well, my wife loves to love me. I know that in all reality that she would be happy with a 12" TV with no stereo and as long as she had her Mary Engelbright stuff everywhere it would be fine, but I have a wife that loves to see me happy! Of course she makes me more happy than anything in the world, but she knows that this purchase will make me happy. She loves to see my eyes open and wide like a child's first Christmas with his/her first toy!
    That is the only thing that goes beyond decor or line doublers...love.
    Keep the love flowing, because that is better than any line double or decor! Make sure you are not the only one that likes to be seen happy, and make her happy by doing the things that you love to see her simile wide from ear to soul too.
    Of course, I am studding to become a minister and know that all of these things will disappear someday, but when they do I can't wait to see God's Home Theater! It is going to be like the Holodeck, heh.
    Have fun, and pray that my wife doesn't kill me if I decide to go with the 50" Toshiba instead of the 47" Panasonic, heh.
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

8. Grady Hollums

OK. I have been to my local HT stores and online at all the sears "established Online Retailers" and I am still wondering what I would like to do after Christmas this year.
    I love the Toshiba and the 50" 16x9 is GREAT, but still it is $500 more than the 47" Panasonic! There really is no place locally that I can compare the Toshiba with the Panny with calibrated sets and a progressive scan input. They either have HDNET set up on noncalabrated screens or they have calibrated screens only on cable or nonprogressive scan DVD players! It is killing me! Well, to any of you that could decide between these two what would you do if in my situation? the Toshiba 50" for $500 more and will probably have to get mid to late next year or the Panasonic 47" early next year?
    Thanks for all the help and input so far, God bless!
    I feel bad about using two threads, but I fugured that starting another one would look even more poor of me. please accept my appologies for those of you who see my name too much on these boards.
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

9. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

Grady. I'd just tell the manager you want to buy a set, but won't do it unless you can hook up a 480p DVD player (which they must provide) and calibrate the sets using Avia or VE. This will allow you to fairly judge the sets and make a decision.
    If you are told NO, let them know you are taking your business elsewhere and do just that.
    Good luck! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"