What's new

OK, one last time--what are the correct settings on the Denon 3802 for 6.1 material? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
This is not a question concerning the differences between the various 6.1 channel formats (DD EX, DTS-ES discrete and matrix). I just want to know the correct settings on my Denon 3802 that will allow me to listen to these sources in the most ideal manner.

From what I understand, the "matrix" setting (for back surround) is intended for all DD EX and DTS ES matrix encoded sources. What will happen if I listen to these sources in "non-matrix" mode? Will there be a degradation in sound quality?

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, the "non-matrix" setting for the back surround speaker is intended to be used for all NON-6.1 encoded sources (DD 5.1, DTS 5.1) that you wish to view in a simulated or forced 6.1 arrangement. And I understand that the results vary from soundtrack to soundtrack.

And finally, if a DVD is DTS-ES discrete encoded, what is the setting? "Matrix" or "non-matrix"? Is there a difference, and does it matter?

Essentially, if anyone can confirm the above info and answer my questions, please do. And if I've gotten something wrong in my interpretation of the settings, please let me know.

Thanks.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Non Matrix mode will make the sound from your side surround speakers also come out of the surround back speakers. Sort of a 4 surround speaker setup only playing 2 channels of the surround information. This is useful to get a wider field of sound from a 5.1 source when you have a 7.1 system.

And finally, if a DVD is DTS-ES discrete encoded, what is the setting? "Matrix" or "non-matrix"? Is there a difference, and does it matter?
Based on the defintion of the word it shouldn't matter, but probably does, leave Matrix ON just to be safe, though I'm not 100% sure on this one.

RichardMA

Second Unit
I see Denon must be putting out the same worthless manuals
it always has. They really need to work on this.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
or maybe they should just keep concentrating on making high-quality units with better features (such as an xover with a wider range of adjustments...).
;)

RichardMA

Second Unit
You want an x-over that is better? Look to Sony, always.
Either that, or make sure the receiver has full preouts
and buy a good quality separate x-over.

Neal.G

Auditioning
I had the same concern,so am I wrong in assuming that the correct setting is "MATRIX" for DTSes encoded material?Also because the 3802/1802 decodes DTSes material does that mean it will also decode DDex also?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks