OK, OK a widescreen it is, I guess - but which one??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I took my friend with me to look at TVs this weekend and the salesmen convinced my friend that "we" need a widescreen (they probably assumed we were married, we used to be married but thats another story).

So.....making a short story long, I am now interested in a WS but I mainly have researched 4:3 TVs. I didn't think it looked bad when I saw how a 4:3 image looked stretched on a WS TV.

I'm not thrilled with the picture on the Panasonic 51HX42 I have been trying out so not sure if I would want to purchase a WS version. I've heard that the Toshibas and Pioneers have good stretch mode.

I would like recommendations on a WS TV around 50" and $2K. I am open to buying from a reputable online retailer as well. I have DirecTV so I don't think PIP would even work. What are some of the main things you want to look for with RPTVs? When using the activebuyersguide.com it shows the # of CRTs each TV has and the # of horizontal resolution lines which I assume are important. I didn't see where it shows if they have 3:2 pulldown though.

Thanks in Advance, you guys are so unbelievably helpful here!!

Shana

2. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

The manufacturer's listing of horizontal resolution is really just marketing. All CRT HD RPTVs have about the same resolution and can all do 1080i (or as close to it as any RPTV can get right now, I'm not looking to get into a semantic debate). The Toshiba (and maybe Hitatchi and JVC) RPTVs will have slightly lesser resolution due to their 540p (JVC 1080i) up conversion.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

4. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Allan, how can you tell if one does that?

5. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Allan,

I understand how locking into full when fed a progressive signal can be a pain (though there are several players that can scale) but I don't see it as a problem with HDTV where nearly everything is 16:9 natively.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I have and love the Toshiba 42H81 (last year's model). The current models are sharper, and the stretch modes are great. Also, Tosh does very well with mediocre signals and they have a nice, shallow form factor.

I bought mine from OneCall.com after having a "disappointing" (i.e. infuriating) encounter at Best Buy. I received much better service from OneCall than from my local Best Buy. However, you lose out on the 30-day return privilege, so make sure it's the set you want before you buy.

Jan

7. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I see that Costco.com has the 57H82 for $1799 and Samsclub.com has the 50H12 for $1794. I'm guessing the stores have the same items. The 57" would be my number one choice.

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing from them, in the store or online? I noticed that if you aren't a member of Costco they add a 5% surcharge which would be cheaper just to become a member.

Thanks,
    Shana

8. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I just saw the 57H82 on the Deals page for $1869 free shipping, that sounds like a pretty good deal!

9. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

57H82 is a fine TV that doesn't lock into full and that is a great price. Go for it.

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    People who intend to stretch (or zoom) all their regular 4x3 TV content might still care about the lock in FULL mode issue w/ HD signals since a lot of the content on HD broadcasts are still 4x3. As w/ DVD, you can work around the issue one way or another of course (w/ possible inconvenience or possible PQ-loss) OR just watch the 4x3 content however it's broadcasted.

_Man_

11. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Good prices all around.

Nice thing about Costco is the most liberal returns policy in the world. Oh, and the rotisserie chicken.

Jan

12. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Well, Jan, I don't know which way to go.

Onecall is an authorized dealer of Toshiba but not right around the corner as Costco is but Costco isn't an authorized dealer. Onecall would deliver it for me though as well.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    shana

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Is Costco's liberal return policy in writing and cannot be altered after purchase?

Someone else in another thread posted that they are extremely liberal on this. Seems better than having a long extended warranty from any authorized dealers aside from the cost factor.

_Man_

14. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

You think so, Man?

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Shana,

Check this concurrent thread from this post onward:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...46#post1360246

That's the thread I was talking about. Certainly sounds better than any EW although you'll have to pay for all TV deliveries, both back and forth. So you'll need to consider the cost issue.

_Man_

16. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

That does sound very good, but it appears to be only one person's opinion.

Thank you for the link, Man. I think I will call Costco tomorrow! [​IMG]

17. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The policy is indeed very liberal, but I'd warn against misusing it to upgrade your set or some other use other than replacing a defective product.

If we don't want to see liberal return policies abandoned, we as consumers shouldn't misuse them.

For instance, Costco now limits computer returns to 6 months because of people turning them in for upgrades.

I think that OneCall and Costco are both excellent companies, Shana, and I'd just go with the better deal.

Jan

18. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yes, I do agree w/ Jan. Of course, it's not easy to abuse the Costco policy w/ a hulking, >200lb TV since they will not handle delivery cheaply. Much different from a computer. [​IMG]

_Man_

19. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Took the plunge -- Just called One Call and ordered the 57H82 with the great deal from the Deals Page which is $109 less than their website is offering!!

Thank you, HTF and Gotapex, and you lovely people with your words of wisdom!

(Will need about 10 people to help me get this TV in the door though at 265 lbs. in the box) [​IMG]

20. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Congrats! [​IMG]

Unless you have doubledoors, I suspect you'll need to take the TV out of the box before moving it in the house. Personally, I'd think 10 people is too many. Something about "too many cooks spoil the soup". [​IMG]

Anyway, enjoy!

_Man_